1988 Dodge Aries LE 2.4 liter from North America

Summary:

The Dodge Aries is and will continue to be a great vehicle

When I first obtained the car, it needed a new fan motor for the radiator, and the internal fans for the AC/heater were clogged with debris built up over the years. Since then it has a small transmission fluid leak (which was easily fixed by tightening some hoses) and a brake fluid leak caused by a worn out wheel cylinder (which was easily replaced during a brake change).

General Comments:

The car is solid. No fiberglass panels!

The seats are pretty rigid and uncomfortable for long drives.

Age has worn on the shocks so the ride isn't as smooth as a newer car.

It may sound funny, but I absolutely love the steering wheel; it's large and easy to grip.

I like the bench front seat, which allows me plenty of leg and elbow room. It also makes for a streamlined dashboard.

The glovebox is relatively small.

The car gets decent MPG (I've been calculating every fill up since purchase). I've been averaging 22-24 MPG for my daily commute.

The vehicle has a LARGE trunk space.

All in all I'm happy with my Aries.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2016

22nd Apr 2016, 21:55

2.4 liter? Somebody put an engine out of an Avenger in it?

24th Apr 2016, 01:47

There is an 88 Aries wagon with only 83,000km original for sale in my local Craigslist car classifieds.

I almost went and bought it. It looks like a brand new 1988 vehicle. Will probably run as long as buying a brand new 2016 vehicle. Too many design flaws in new cars these days.

I just looked again today and the 88 wagon is still for sale on Van BC Craigslist. If I had unlimited storage I'd sell my 97 Civic HB and go buy the Aries as my secondary car. Where else can you buy a like-new 88 classic car for only $800 asking price? I bet they'd take $600 or even $500 at this point. A brand newish classic car for 500 or 600 bucks... it is only going to go up in value.

1988 Dodge Aries LE Wagon 2.5 from North America

Summary:

Can't find a better deal!

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

After my personal economy collapsed a few years back, I had to get an inexpensive, older car. It was an 89 Dodge Aries. After driving that one for a year, I realized what a truly great car that it was.

I then went on a quest to find a station wagon. Now I have a back up if one needs to be in the shop and I have a vehicle to haul a larger than normal load. I absolutely love these classics and would challenge anyone to come up with a better automobile for the money!

Review Date: 11th July, 2010

13th Jul 2010, 21:22

That's a good find with the low miles. The Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 motors were insanely reliable; they run and run and run. Don't mind the little knocking noise if it develops one, it's "normal" and will keep on going.

I believe '89 was the last year they made the Aries, and production began in '81 or something like that. So they had plenty of time to get it right. We had an '88 Omni with well over 200k miles before we sold it, and it still had ice cold A/C from the factory.

The K-Car 4-banger motors lived on for years to come in the Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance and Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim models of the 1990's.

1988 Dodge Aries LE 2.5 L 4 cyl from North America

Summary:

It's a very reliable, economical and good looking ride

Stock hoses started to fall apart at 36000.

Head gasket started leaking.

Heater control valve wore out.

Had to convert the AC from freon to R135 (because of government regulations).

Heater core wore out about 35,000 miles.

Had to replace fan relay.

In 14 yrs only 2 stock tires had two be changed.

Headliner fabric stared to fall down in 2003.

General Comments:

The things that have gone wrong are minor things that come with old age.

The K car was handed down to me by my beloved grandfather, after he considered himself too sick to drive it.

The sentimental value is through the roof; I wouldn't want to give it up.

For a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine it is surprisingly peppy.

The '88 Dodge Aries is very reliable.

It is quite good looking for an old car. The boxiness is distinguishing.

I highly recommend the K car.

Review Date: 13th February, 2005

15th Feb 2005, 06:41

Yeah, well driving a K-car for 17 years would make anyone sick.

And that's an Aries LE, not an EL!

15th Feb 2005, 15:31

And the "LE" stood for, believe it or not, "Luxury Edition" lol.

9th Apr 2005, 00:05

OK review. I think the K car is not as cool as the newer cars, but its really good looking for its time. Also it's a peppy little car.

1988 Dodge Aries K 2.5 Liter from North America

Summary:

I would gladly bump off one of my friends to keep this car

The only thing wrong is that the blower is permanently stuck on half forward defrost and half floor. It's probably just a blown vacuum seal, but I have never bothered to get it checked out because it really doesn't bother me.

General Comments:

This car is an absolute trooper. It is my first car, and I could not ask for anything more. It has always been with me for whatever I need it for.

The 2.5 liter engine provides fairly surprising pep, and still gets good mileage. 22/31 mpg (not bad for a 13 year old car!)

I really prefer the bench seat to confining bucket seats that other cars have.

She is still running great and I will gladly keep her for as long as I possibly can.

Review Date: 21st February, 2001

23rd Jun 2002, 13:24

I like the car, but I wish there were something to make it more stylish. It's comfy and cozy, it is great with gas compared to the newer cars.

26th Jul 2002, 12:49

My daughter bought this car as her first, it is perfect. She gets 26 miles to a gallon of gas and the best part is... it has only been driven 32,000 miles. It will be great for her to drive while in college.