1988 Dodge Aries K from North America - Comments

17th Sep 2009, 19:32

My first car, a '72 Honda Civic, paid $100 for it when it had 400,000 miles. The engine block cracked at about 230,000. I sold it at 515,000 and it was still running. Smoked a lot on start-up, and used some oil, but NEVER stalled and NEVER left me stranded. Let's just say I've stuck with Honda ever since.

23rd Apr 2012, 21:57

I would steer clear of the Mitsu 2.6 unless that is your starting point. Stroking the Dodge 2.2 out to 2.5L was a wise decision, and a vast improvement over that old g54b 4 banger.

The Mitsu V6 was available in some of the K car spin offs (Shadow, Daytona, Dynasty, Spirit, etc), and since the chassis/engine bay is virtually the same design, it is a pretty easy swap except for grafting the wiring harness/controls. I think the guy did a swap.

Personally I prefer the stroker 2.5, which can be pretty zippy, especially if you put a 5 speed behind it (the original K's never got that combo unfortunately).

There are turbo 2.2 and 2.5's out there, and other options would be a Mitsu 3.5 or 3.8 Mivec, which are stroker 3.0's. There was a 5 speed for the 3.0 in some of the other cars, so the sky is the limit on mods.

10th Mar 2013, 17:53

I have a 1988 Dodge Aries that I am finally going to part with (sell). Won't junk it, this car is a work horse.

12th Mar 2013, 14:58

I owned a 1988 Daytona with the Mitsubishi engine. It was traded at 100,000 miles and never had a problem. We also had a 1990 Omni with the 2.2. It was nothing short of amazing. Awesomely fast, fantastic gas mileage and finally sold at 240,000 miles. Except for two timing belts, two brake jobs and one heater hose, it never had a repair of any kind. Never even added freon to the A/C.

Add another comment