2006 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 high output from North America

Summary:

Great feeling to drive it!

Struts, bushings and tie-rods, front end is weak.

General Comments:

The Charger is a head turner, has a pretty good ride, lots of power, lots of room for passengers, and good trunk space. Most aggressive looking front end ever in my opinion.

Interior is very plain, but I find the seats are comfortable, and passengers have no issues with the back seats.

Mechanically, front end issues are common, and be prepared for some costs there. This seems to be a common problem with many of the Dodge products built on this platform. The motor (3.5L high output) and tranny (5 speed auto) seem very solid, no issues here. I get about 24 MPG in the city, and have got up to 30 on a long drive to BC.

Review Date: 14th April, 2012

2006 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 Hemi from North America

Summary:

I want to like this car, but it won't let me!

Ah Dodge, why do you hate reliability so?

The driver's door hinge broke at 60,000km.

The driver's seat motor bushing sheared (repair means replacing the seat!!!).

Trunk light switch broke.

Front hub bearings.

Sway bar links, bushings.

Front fwd and rear control arms.

Inner/outer tie rods - just for fun, google the "famous lx clunk". $1000 in front end parts and it still rattles.

Chrysler cars feature the cheapest plastic interiors out of all the big three.

General Comments:

Well I really wanted to like this car, after having an Intrepid that went and went. I thought this would be even better. It's large, comfortable and very powerful with the Hemi. Truth is, there are very few cars this size, and in this price range that can offer this kind of performance.

Unfortunately the front suspension is overly complicated and cheaply built for such a heavy sedan. Be prepared to put some money into it. Most owners have replaced some of the front end by 100000km.

The interior looks nice, but starts creaking as soon as you're off the lot.

Review Date: 11th November, 2011

12th Nov 2011, 09:20

If you did a bit of research online, you wouldn't have had to replace your entire seat. The dealer sells the whole assembly, but there are ways to get just the parts you need to swap out.

My Dad has an '06 Charger too, and he has replaced much of the front end on it. He really takes great care of his vehicles too, and doesn't drive them hard at all, so I was kind of surprised that things were failing so early on. He is a die hard "buy American" guy though, and I can't talk him into a better quality car. He even realizes that his is half Mercedes underneath, so it is kind of ridiculous. I am trying to get him to at least look at a Ford product, which is a major step in the right direction. I love driving the Charger, but I couldn't own one with all of the headaches.

22nd Jul 2012, 19:19

The seat bushing that sheared is integral with the lower seat frame. It is installed during the stamping process of forming the frame. Yes, the seat motors and gearboxes, upper and lower cushions, as well as associated trim pieces and coverings, would not need to be replaced, but the $1300 cost for the seat frame structure from Chrysler, would lead me to believe that buying a good used one for much cheaper would be of better value. Hence the "replace the seat comment".

P.S. I am a mechanic - 20 years.

2006 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 from North America

Summary:

The concept is good but the quality is lousy

It already started with a recall after 3 weeks at 1,000 miles - the engine could have been subject to a rod bearing issue and had to be opened.

The car is very receptive for not so well balanced tires and consequential jittering at highway speeds - requires frequent balancing of tires.

At 13,600 pulsation when braking at higher speeds got very strong - dealer resurfaced front rotors.

At 15,700 the transmission was leaking - dealer replaced an oring and guide bushing.

At 24,800 pulsation is back - dealer finally replaced front rotors.

Now at 31,000 the pulsation is slowly coming back at certain speeds. Also, a rattling and creaking is developing somewhere in the front axle - next issue coming around the corncer.

General Comments:

We still like how it rides and that it is relatively quiet and spacious sedan. But what a disappointment regarding quality! You would think that when they claimed that the LX platform has "Mercedes Technology" they also improved quality a little - dead wrong! Still the old Chrysler approach. It is rated 27 mpg highway, but I do not know how you could ever get there. I just cannot get more than 24 out of it.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2008

14th Mar 2014, 12:36

I have a 2006 Charger and see some of the same issues; brake rotors get warped and front end issues. Also relatively high oil consumption, though that's not due to worn engine parts, but rather the design of the engine/emissions (look it up for more info).

However, beyond those problems it's a fantastic car. It's dead reliable, durable, and as the 3.5L gets more mileage, you will get better MPG; I can get 28 on the highway.

The seats are so comfortable, climate control excellent, handling excellent, quiet and relaxed, yet sporty. I wouldn't trade it for anything, even with 130K on the clock. Just wish the front end was a bit more durable.

8th Apr 2014, 18:52

I have a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L engine. At 60,000 miles we never had a drop of oil consumed. Suddenly it starts consuming 3 quarts in 8 weeks of light driving. No exhaust smoke.

Your comment about high oil consumption being related to emissions and not engine wear is really interesting. The car has no performance problems/changes or codes, just sudden high oil consumption. Quite puzzling. My first guess was to think of a broken oil control ring on one cylinder.

I searched the Internet with a number of questions and didn't come up with a reason for the emission system to jack up oil consumption that you allude to.

Can you give me a clue as to how the engine emission system could increase oil use?

Thank you!