18th Nov 2014, 19:02

I'm the original author of this review. When I wrote it, the everyday runabout vehicle for my parents was a 1997 Mercury Sable station wagon. In 2009, my dad indulged in a life-long dream and bought a 2007 Cadillac DTS, and then in 2011 he traded that on a 2010 Cadillac DTS. My mom died in 2009, and she was the once-a-week driver of the 1975 Dodge Charger, so it has been sitting in a shed since then. My dad is 92 and had been indulging his enjoyment of having a Cadillac before he lost his license, so he didn't drive the Charger anymore.

After sitting for 5 years, the Charger ran a little rough and wouldn't idle when I decided to get it running this Fall, so I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and tweaked the carburetor adjustments a little. It was really a joy to get it back cruising down the road. I always knew the Charger was a solid car, but, well... I know there will be those who will virulently attack me for saying this, but that 1975 Dodge Charger is at least as smooth and quiet as the 2010 Cadillac DTS, which I've driven quite a bit. It makes one feel that although many things have been gained in the field of automobile technology in the nearly 40 years since that car was made, some things may have been lost.

19th Nov 2014, 17:14

My dad had an absolutely loaded mid 70s Chrysler Newport and a 1988 Lincoln Town Car. We commented that the Chrysler front seat was far more comfortable. It was like a double cushion sofa. I also liked the uninterrupted side windows with no post. I've personally owned some Cadillacs from that era as well. The big Newport was better to drive. I can only imagine the Imperial being better.