1987 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9 V6 239 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 239 Automatic

Summary:

Dependable if taken care of

I have replaced the alternator, water pump, tension pulley, all belts, all hoses, battery, battery cables, gasket valve covers, 2 rear ends, steering column, all brakes, master cylinder 3 times.

General Comments:

Had to replace the bench seats with cloth buckets. Very easy for anyone to work on. I am 17 years old and I don't drive this vehicle very considerably. This vehicle had last very well with the treatment it is given. The main replacement has been the 2 rear ends. I hate the 3 speed transmission. I also get 10.9 miles to the gallon. You can see the gas gage move when you floor it. I have rebuilt the carburetor, added exhaust, K&N ram air filter, high performance spark plugs and wire, with an ignition amplifier. This light duty truck could smoke any Ranger or S-10. I would love to drop a 318 V8 into this small truck.

Review Date: 19th February, 2004

28th Oct 2004, 01:41

I really like my 4x4 87 Dakota. I did have the 3 speed 904 auto trans rebuilt at 140,000 miles, but other than that its all been minor. I put a 3 inch lift and 33" BFG tires on it. This truck has been awesome for me. I think some people just have too high of expectations.

1987 Dodge Dakota 3.9 from North America

Year of manufacture1987

Summary:

This truck is GREAT!!!

I've had to replace the alternator, all 3 belts, 2 hoses, bed, master cylinder, idler pulley, and water pump.

General Comments:

This truck has been a great first truck for me.

This truck is very easy to customize. I have put dual exhaust, K&N air filter, roll panel, headers, bed rails, and new 16 inch rims and low profile tires.

This truck gets horrible gas mileage.

This truck would be easy to switch to a big 318 or 340 V8.

Review Date: 18th June, 2003

1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.9

A lot of little things, but that's to be expected with as many miles as mine had.

General Comments:

I purchased the truck with 128,500 miles on it, and for a truck with that many miles on it, it performed great. I felt the V-6 was a little small so I encourage a buyer to look for a V-8 if the decrease in economy will not matter. I would also get a 5-speed manual or at least the override automatic.

Also with a lift and 32" tires they make excellent 4x4's. Trust me.

Review Date: 31st January, 1999

13th May 2003, 18:33

I recently purchased a 1987 dodge dakota 2 wheel drive from a friend. It is a 2.2 4 with the 5 speed manual trans, and it only had 73,000 miles on it. I find it very comparable to my last one, a 1989 2.5 liter with fuel injection and the five speed manual trans. All I had to put into the truck was an alternator, new lights, and a hood and and fender, it is proving to be a very reliable little truck, and fairly economical thus far. The main recommendations I would make to improve fuel economy and power are: Bosch platinum +4 spark plugs, k&n air filter, and a free flowing exhaust system. I don't know how well the red paint will hold out, but the midnight blue metallic on my '89 chipped and fell off over the years I had it. Bad paint prep. I guess. I would highly recommend the Dakota trucks to any one looking for a good all around truck. Kevin Fox. Dunkirk NY.