1973 Dodge Dart Dodge "Sport" 340 340 from North America

Summary:

A beast that got no respect!

Nothing major has ever gone wrong with the car. Had to replace oil pan and valve cover gaskets in 1997.

General Comments:

Purchased this car new in Memphis Tn in the spring of 1973. Back in those days it was known as a "fast" car, but did not get the same respect as a Cuda or Challenger, but could easily blow the doors off a 1973 Corvette and other so called muscle cars of the period. I sold the car to my brother in 1982 and he had it under lock and key in a garage until I purchased it back from him in 1997. The car has the original paint which is chocolate brown with a black stripe down the side, it came from the factory with a functioning (Black) snorkel hood scoop, 4 speed transmission, posi-rear and a 340. I been told it is a rare car with less than 200 made like the one I own... I did have on offer of $18,000 from one fellow at a local car show, but refused. My son loves the car and one day it will be his, he remembers riding in it when he was a child. I am 64 now and would never sell the car it brings back memories of my youth.

Review Date: 8th October, 2007

9th Oct 2007, 01:59

These particular cars are indeed long-lasting! I bought one in 1996 with a 318 and a transmission that simply would not quit. I eventually sold it to a collector for $3000 still running in 2005, and have regretted it ever since. Why Dodge does not make cars like this anymore is anyone's guess. Perhaps longevity coupled with simple easy-to-maintain components demand a hefty premium nowadays.

3rd May 2008, 17:15

I agree. In the late 60's through the 70's, Chrysler made the best engines and transmissions, and had the best styling. There is nothing else like an old Mopar, and I was a hardcore fan. I don't know what happened to them, but I didn't feel like they had anything to offer me for about 30 years, since 1975. The Chrysler 300 is appealing, as is the Charger (if you ignore the name on a 4-door), and I'm anticipating seeing the first Challenger on the road.