1979 Dodge Diplomat Reviews

Model year1979
Year of manufacture1978
Engine and transmission 225 Slant Six Automatic
Distance when acquired193000 miles

Summary:

Most dependable car ever made

The water pump sprang a leak around the pulley-seal at around 200,000m. I still drove it for about 35 miles with no coolant at all.

About 1 year after I bought it, the car caught fire from a cigarette butt that had flown back in. The rear of the car (mostly the backseat) was in flames, and some wiring had to be replaced. I continued to drive it for another 2 years.

The paint job was shot, so I just kept covering it with primer occassionaly.

The wiring harness in the dash was bad, possibly from the fire, so no AC, radio, etc.

The alignment was terrible, because no one had greased the front end in decades. I went through a lot of tires.

The brakes went bad; I believe the master cylinder was sucking air. This is why I eventually had it junked.

General Comments:

Absolutely indestructible.

I bought this car for $40 from my aunt. When I found it, it had been hidden under a pile of wet leaves for about 6 years.

It cranked right up, though it needed a new transmission.

I put this hunk of junk through hell, and I am still amazed at how dependable it was; I did as little maintenance as possible on it. The leaking water pump was the only time it ever 'broke down' on me, and it still got me home with no coolant, and a red-hot engine!

Review Date: 27th April, 2005

8th Apr 2007, 07:16

Great to read good comments on this 78_Diplomat. I even printed it to include with my papers. I purchased my 1978 in 2007 that I saw the summer of 2006. It is the sea mist green with white-leather. Interior needs work and my nip picking to have the engine as new. Although it runs great with a bit of overheating. Just got news w/o thermostat it is doing well. Electrical hookup to carbuerator was removed by original-owner. Thanks for this owner and others that I feel good purchasing this 78_Diplomat. A friend in Viginia owned the Chrysler model. It ran with hardly any maintenance which made me feel confident on buying this model car. Unfortunately there car was totaled. Viva el Diplomat.

1979 Dodge Diplomat from North America

Year of manufacture1979

Summary:

Cheap Reliable Transportation

Turn signals didn't work when I got it, turns out the car was brought to a Strauss repair facility, and they just taped the wire. Fixed that (correctly).

Horn didn't work, that was just dirty contacts.

Exhaust leak, doesn't matter because I am putting in a completely new exhaust, custom dual exhaust. (not a cat back system, all the way from the headers I'm putting on).

Headliner is gone, because of cheap glue.

General Comments:

Very reliable, low operating costs, besides the gas mileage.

Gas mileage is good for the era it was built in; 18 city, 24 highway (factory specs).

Comfortable, great ride, comfortable vinyl seats.

For other owners of Dodge Diplomats, Chrysler Fifth Aves, and Plymouth Gran Fury's, here is a great website.

www.dippy.org

Review Date: 28th May, 2004

1979 Dodge Diplomat Wagon 360 from North America

Engine and transmission 360 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet C20

Summary:

A humble looking monster with a touch of class

When I first got the wagon, it had the original electrical engine parts, i.e. spark plug wires, coil, distributor cap. These of course gave horrible performance.

The valve springs were too short for such a big engine resulting in poor acceleration.

The roof lining tends to sag after the rain.

General Comments:

After a 5 minute warm-up this car hits 0-60 m.p.h. in just over 6 seconds, and a top speed just under 130 m.p.h.

360 cubic inch V-8, need I say more?

Wonderful smooth brakes.

Serious under-steer in sharp turns, but a very stable car.

Cool growling engine note.

Comfortable leather seats.

Beautiful styling with lots of chrome in a Cadillac sort of way.

Big, sturdy front and rear bumpers.

Review Date: 11th April, 2004

24th Mar 2006, 19:04

The valve springs were too short? what are you talking about?

Were you trying to install a bigger cam? I'm not sure how valve spring height has anything to do with the motor size or performance. Perhaps your springs were worn out or perhaps your confused as to what a valve spring is. As long as nothing hits and they keep the valves in sync with the cam, who cares how tall they are.

1979 Dodge Diplomat Wagon 318 V8 from North America