1988 Dodge Diplomat Reviews

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Trusty old Dodge; analogue, no digital trash

Nothing so far. I bought this car straight away, after seeing the just like new condition of it. The local dealer had it after its elderly owner had seen fit to part with it for something more modern.

General Comments:

For 600 bucks, this is a one off. I just can't understand why someone would part with it.

It is a lovely maroon colour, and brightwork that would put any Peterbilt to shame. It runs like an old fashioned wind up Timex; inexpensive, but totally reliable.

Review Date: 7th May, 2012

8th May 2012, 12:05

I couldn't agree more - the classic analog heavy-duty technology beats everything made today. We used to run these as taxis, and they lasted a long, long time, even under heavy abuse.

9th May 2012, 17:25

Ho hum, and back in 1988 I had to hear about how much better cars from the 1950's were compared to the plastic junk that was being made then, including Dodge Diplomats. I predict that 30 years from now, there will be those who insist that their 2012 model with a gasoline-fueled internal combustion engine is waaay better than the electric or hydrogen powered cars that are likely to be common by then.

10th May 2012, 11:53

Seriously, you don't really believe that people will be driving around in cars in twenty or thirty years time, do you?

At the rate the world is changing, there will be no mode of transport, only your humble legs, because look around you. Who on earth will be able to buy a car if they are not earning a wage, and brother, sooner or later, that will include you too.

11th May 2012, 06:11

Huzzah! You are so correct! The rich will drive cars (or have them driven for them), but the vast majority - the working class - will not be able to afford them. This is where capitalism is taking us.

12th May 2012, 00:02

I agree about only the rich being able to buy cars IF the Republicans gain control of our government. They want to destroy the middle class, distribute their wealth and property to the wealthy, and create a slave class.

14th May 2012, 12:52

Funny, I saw a Dodge Diplomat the other day. It kinda looked like a Lincoln Town Car, except for the excess mass, and strangely it had a lot lot more chrome compared to the more upmarket Lincoln of the same era, and also the interior is super cool, what with the nice gauges and the chrome surrounds around them.

18th May 2012, 12:05

The M body Diplomat and Fifth Avenue had a lot of stainless steel around the wheels, and plenty of chrome on the grille and bumpers, but in the 1970s, what domestic maker had not; very few.

One point I would like to make, is that a well tuned Dodge 318 is the golden nugget of US built V8s. Also Torqueflite transmissions and the beautiful whine they give out, is music to my ears.

1988 Dodge Diplomat Salon 318 ci V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 318 ci V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Sweet ride..

Two window motors failed.

Water pump failed.

Gas guzzler.

General Comments:

It was my Grandmother's car, and she left it to me. I loved this car and really gave it the baby treatment. I used my motorcycle to get around on most the time, so the Diplomat always had the bling on.

It was a comfortable, dependable, soft riding boat of car. I never got to find out how far it would have went, because I was hit head on by a teenager in a Civic that lost control in the rain. We collided at about 30 mph, and his Civic went to pieces. My damage looked cosmetic, but he managed to bend the frame a little. I simply got out of the car and walked over to him and said "Hey kid are you OK?" He was red all over from the airbag. Funny how a whole lot of steel offered the same level of protection as technology.

I ended up dropping the motor into a Ramcharger, and got another 30,000 or so miles out of it before selling the truck.

Review Date: 28th February, 2012

28th Feb 2012, 23:55

Glad you walked away from that wreck! What injuries did the other driver suffer?

1st Mar 2012, 23:42

"managed to bend the frame a little"

No, he didn't because your car has no frame. It's uni-body construction.

2nd Mar 2012, 13:27

The old rear drive Mopars were as strong, if not stronger, than any FoMoCo or GM body on frame built cars of that time.

15th Mar 2012, 16:23

The kid was fine; just shaken up and scared that his folks were going to kill him, because it was his mom's car, and he had only been driving for a little over a month.

You're right about the frame of course, being so wise in the ways of automotive construction. Regardless, it would never be in alignment again without having more than I could ever spend.