1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Reviews

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 litre from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 3.3 litre Automatic
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Perfect

Nothing abnormal - just the transmission has started to slip. It happened around the 300,000 km mark the first time, but I can't remember what sensor was in need of cleaning. Once the sensor is cleaned up - the transmission is good for another 150,000 km. I love my van, and considering it will soon have 500,000 km, I think it has served me well.

General Comments:

- Dependable.

- Comfortable.

- Fast and very quiet.

- Aromatics are great.

- Roomy.

- As good as a truck for hauling large loads or towing.

- Handles awesome.

Review Date: 13th November, 2010

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 3.3L V6 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

Decent car for families

A/C gone at 100K.

Engine thermometer goes up and down at 110K.

VERY ROUGH IDLING 115K, fixed with spark plug changes.

CD player never worked right (volume control didn't work, didn't read custom CDs)

General Comments:

Generally an OK van, good power, overall reliability is OK.

Major AC issue though. Changed the compressor and still the A/C doesn't work sometimes.

CD needed to be better.

Don't trust the car anymore. Was an OK car though when we needed to go up on long distance trips.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2009

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 from North America

Year of manufacture1999

Summary:

Dependable

Water pump went at 165000+ miles, and the cooling fan needed replaced last year.

General Comments:

I am very fortunate, my Caravan has 165,000+ miles on it and it is the most dependable safest car I've ever owned. I've only had a few repairs, and everything still works (A/C, power locks etc) I wouldn't trade it for the world... (keeping fingers crossed) good luck everyone.

Review Date: 18th December, 2008

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carHonda Passport

Summary:

It was good when it was new

Very loud noise came from front wheel passenger side.

General Comments:

It is a very comfortable car, but it got lots problems after 65000 miles.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2008

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Average car for the Price

The brakes have been needed to be replaced 3 or 4 times, more than they should be. Someone at the dealership said that they need to be replaced often because of the design of the vehicle. Apparently, they made it so it puts a lot of stress on the brakes.

The trip computer went at about 20,000 miles, but thankfully it was under warranty and was covered.

General Comments:

The handling and pick-up are very good on this mini-van.

It gets surprisingly good gas mileage for a mini-van. It gets about 18 City and 24 Highway. Good for a minivan that is 8 years old.

The ride used to be a major thing we loved about this van. However, the ride quality has drastically deteriorated over time. It is now extremely loud in back because of either the tires or the drive train. It also absorbs bumps into the cabin and is loud.

The vehicle has started rusting now, but probably because of the harsh winters that are present in the Upstate New York.

Review Date: 24th May, 2007

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan es 3.3 liters from North America

Engine and transmission 3.3 liters Automatic
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

So far so good

I am having problems with the egr sensor valve -- "check engine soon" light remains on. I was told I needed a new egr sensor valve. I was also told I could clean the one I already have. I was also told that cars with a lot of mileage get gunked up with carbon and the such. I will not pass my emissions testing (as required in my county in GA) unless I fix this problem. I have already put a lot of money in to this car and was hoping it was something minor. A mechanic told me it would cost around $200.00. I can't afford this right now.

I had to repair the power steering. Had new rack and pinion put in. New air conditioning. The works. I am broke!

General Comments:

I purchased my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan used and have only had it for 2 weeks, however all and all I am getting use to it. It drives more like a sedan than a mini van or SUV. Wait until I have owned it for a year and I will let you know what I really think!

Review Date: 8th August, 2006

10th Aug 2006, 11:21

You bought the Van with a 164,000 miules and expect to have no problems? wow!

29th Oct 2007, 00:55

I had emission problems as well. I replaced the EGR valve and sprayed intake/throttle body cleaner through the throttle body. This got rid of two engine codes. One for EGR and the downstream O2 sensor. I also had a problem with the radiator fan not turning on. It was a relay below the battery (not in fuse box). All in all..cost $50 for EGR, $55 for radiator fan control relay, $3 for intake cleaner!!! Work smart not hard!!!Don't let these repair companies treat you like you can't do it. I was quoted $680 bucks for this initially and this wasn't even the dealer!!! FYI there is a recall for the clock spring sensor located in the steering column.. THIS WILL FIX AIRBAG, HORN, AND CRUISE CONTROL---FOR FREE!! $280 VALUE. HOPE I WAS HELPFUL.