2004 Dodge Neon Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 2.0 from North America

Model year2004
Previous carChrysler Dynasty

Summary:

Nice looking and cheap on fuel, but make sure you have AAA

The car has had a cold start knock (piston slap) since I bought it.

Both rear wheel bearings. One at 45k and the other at 65k.

The cam sensor went at 60k, causing the car to "buck" and only drive 20 mph.

The rear brake shoe came apart and locked the rear wheel. Could have been aftermarket brakes, I don't know.

The CD changer stopped working at 65k.

A pin came out of the sunroof, causing it not to close properly. It was a real pain to put back in.

All of the chrome wheels leaked air, so I bought a set of steel wheels and hubcaps for $100 at a junkyard.

The tie rod broke while making a turn, requiring a tow, a tie rod, a new tire, and an alignment. $275

The most serious problem has been that the radiator/trans cooler blew at around 65k, causing all of the trans fluid to leak out. I got lucky because this is a very common problem and usually causes coolant to pump into the trans, destroying it.

General Comments:

The car looks nice, runs fairly well and is fuel efficient. I love the spoiler and sunroof, and I wish the chrome wheels didn't leak.

Having said that, I wouldn't advise buying one of these unless you are able to perform moderately challenging repairs yourself. I imagine it would be expensive to pay a shop to keep this thing up.

Again, beware of the radiator issue. It may be worth it to go ahead and replace it with an aftermarket unit. A $100 radiator may save you a $2000 dollar repair.

Review Date: 12th July, 2011

3rd May 2012, 23:38

I agree. I own a 2005 Dodge SX 2.0 SRT design, and have sunk $7000 into it already...

2004 Dodge Neon SX 2.0 from North America

Model year2004
Previous carPontiac Sunbird

Summary:

I love this car!

The only problem I've had with my car was the engine light came on 6 months after I purchased it. The mechanic said it was a 'misfire'? Not sure what any of this means. A couple years later, the car would not switch gears. My dad then found out it was something to do with the computer. I got the part for 200$, and never had a problem afterwards.

General Comments:

I have had this car for 5 1/2 years now, and I have had one problem with it.

I love the mileage, speed, and the car is so comfortable.

I am saddened to say that I lost my car in an accident this past weekend.

I am so terribly upset that it isn't fixable. It took me everywhere, and never let me down.

I will never find another car like it.

Review Date: 16th March, 2011

2004 Dodge Neon SRT from North America

First year of ownership2010
Previous carDodge Intrepid

Summary:

I don't believe I'd buy another one

For what I consider low mileage when I bought it, it wasn't too long before I had to replace the oil sensor, then got a code for one of the oxygen sensors. The interior was in pretty good shape. But I noticed a big junk of paint from the rocker panel under the driver's door is missing. I haven't had it quite a year yet.

General Comments:

I'm not comfortable driving this in the winter. It doesn't take much to have it slide - slush, etc. I put winter tires on the front and it's better, but not like a bigger car.

I don't like the small gas tank. Didn't know about it till the first time I filled it. So I'm not sure the mileage is that great. When I first got my Intrepid, I got the same mileage on 1/2 tank as what I get on a full tank with the Neon. You have to fill up more often.

I wasn't crazy about the body style, but this one has a spoiler, which improves the looks, at least to me.

Review Date: 4th February, 2011