1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L V8 from North America
Very good 4x4 truck
- Valve seat/seal (1) & fuel injectors (8) @ 218k miles
- Alternator @ 227k miles
- Fuel pump @ 249k miles
- AC compressor @ 257k miles
- LF ball joint @ 251k miles
- RF wheel bearing @ 263k miles.
- Window switches < 210k miles
- Power seat switch < 210k miles.
**Before I got it:
- Trans rebuild (130k miles?)
- Rear-end rebuild
*** Note that previous owner used it for logging (hauling timber off road most of the time!!!)
Very reliable as I consider the repair items normal for its age. Starts instantly and immediately is ready to go - no waiting for warm-up like the Jetta or my old Pathfinder. More like my wife's Accord.
More reliable than my 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T.
- Very good off-road (really OFF road - not simply just off pavement). Very good 4x4 truck. Solid axle is a help here, I believe.
- Radio/CD/cassette is quite good.
- Fold-down center seat console is great.
- Brakes are mushy and weak.
- ABS does not disengage when in 4x4 which I do not like.
- AC not great - it's okay.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 24th November, 2008