1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L V8 from North America

Summary:

Very good 4x4 truck

Major:

- Valve seat/seal (1) & fuel injectors (8) @ 218k miles

- Alternator @ 227k miles

- Fuel pump @ 249k miles

- AC compressor @ 257k miles

- LF ball joint @ 251k miles

- RF wheel bearing @ 263k miles.

Minor:

- Window switches < 210k miles

- Power seat switch < 210k miles.

**Before I got it:

- Trans rebuild (130k miles?)

- Rear-end rebuild

*** Note that previous owner used it for logging (hauling timber off road most of the time!!!)

General Comments:

Very reliable as I consider the repair items normal for its age. Starts instantly and immediately is ready to go - no waiting for warm-up like the Jetta or my old Pathfinder. More like my wife's Accord.

More reliable than my 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T.

Likes:

- Very good off-road (really OFF road - not simply just off pavement). Very good 4x4 truck. Solid axle is a help here, I believe.

- Radio/CD/cassette is quite good.

- Fold-down center seat console is great.

Dislikes:

- Brakes are mushy and weak.

- ABS does not disengage when in 4x4 which I do not like.

- AC not great - it's okay.

Review Date: 24th November, 2008

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T 5.9L V8 from North America

Summary:

Sexy and fun

It's running a little bad right now cause I need my throttle body cleaned.

General Comments:

This truck is real fun to drive and gets many rubber neckers. Mine is a 1998 that's in really good condition, I was lookin for a truck that no one had and I did research on the SS/T and found out that they're really rare. I had to have one.

Review Date: 17th March, 2008

1998 Dodge Ram 5.9L diesel 3/4 ton turbo from North America

Summary:

Love my truck

I have had problems with the torque converter clutch and had the throttle position sensor replaced.

Received Technical Service Bulletins Ref# 18-02-99 Date of Issue Feb. 19,1999. My truck has 115,000 miles with regular maintenance, IE oil changes, transmission checked and now it is surging again, with last replacement 7/14/05.

What is going on? And am I supposed to drive this truck into the ground? I haul a 3 horse aluminum slant load trailer and a flat bed to pick up hay once per year. Surely this problem is common, because this truck has been maintained like a baby and is paid for, and should in theory run for another 100,000. Can you guide me for some resolution?

Review Date: 22nd August, 2006

1998 Dodge Ram SLT 5.2 V8 from North America

Summary:

The truck is more than I expected in almost every aspect

Had to put new brake calipers on the front, the old ones were rattling, but this is normal wear, blew one fuse for inside lights, 2 new tires. Nothing else so far.

General Comments:

Truck is very dependable, it is the most comfortable to drive, seats are very durable, engine has more than enough power. I drove it on a 2500 mile trip and it ran flawlessly, no problems and got 18 to 20 mpg. The cab is very spacious. I am very happy with buying a Dodge Truck.

Review Date: 24th January, 2006

1998 Dodge Ram SS/T 5.9 from North America

Summary:

I'm in love with my truck

The transmission required an overhaul (not rebuild!) at 91,000 miles. This included: speed sensor, governor, overdrive solenoid, front pump bearings and input shaft & seals; I also put in a mild performance torque converter and shift kit.

Replaced speed sensor in left rear wheel hub at 90,000 miles.

General Comments:

Easily the best truck (and probably best auto, period) I've ever owned!

With mild performance modifications it accelerates fast and has a top end around 150 mph.

Stock suspension, wheels and tires are beyond adequate and handling is more like a sports car that a 1/2 ton truck.

The interior is very comfortable and the stock Infinity Premium sound system approaches audiophile quality.

Review Date: 10th June, 2004

20th Jun 2004, 17:43

Steven - Liked your comment on the Ram SS/T - I also have one a '98 white w/blue stripes. It has 65,000 on it now - bought it with 11,000 and have had no problems except battery replacement and new Goodyear II's at 60,000. I agree it is a fun and good looking truck for the money and the stereo is excellent. I get lots of comments on it and my girlfriend liked it so much she sold her 2001 Toyota RAV 4 and now drives the truck most of the time. She loves the sound and power. My best mileage so far has been about 20 per gallon - which isn't bad for a full sized truck with some power!

Take care. Jesse.