1998 Dodge Ram SLT 1500 4x4 5.9L V8 from North America

Summary:

Nice looking truck, comfortable cab but a mechanical nightmare.

3 weeks after purchase needed right wheel bearing, 2 tie-rod ends and the power steering box replaced.

I had to replace the transmission AND transfer case 3 times and it was seemingly due for a 4th replacement when I traded it in.

Had fuel pump replaced.

Front end was also in severe disrepair when I traded it in, needed all new tie-rod ends, u-joints and traction bar.

Both front axle seals failed.

General Comments:

It's really a shame the troubles I had with this truck.

Truck was very comfortable inside and a gorgeous truck.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2004

8th Jul 2004, 12:19

I own a 1999 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 pickup and agree that it is beautiful, a smooth ride, but a a mechanical nightmare. The vehicle has just 39,400 miles, but within the past 9 months:

..AC Condenser replaced

..AC valve replaces

..Evaporator System replaced

..Dash cracked in 4 places

..Left front tire split (original tire)

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 5.2 Liter from North America

Summary:

One of the best trucks out there

Top of steering wheel has started to wear.

Cat converter went out at 154,000 miles.

Very slight stumble (hardly noticeable) when accelerating from a complete stop.

The track bar wore out at 152,000 miles.

General Comments:

Very comfortable truck. There's more interior space than other trucks of the same era.

Great styling.

Gets good mileage. About 17 highway, 15 in town.

One of the best trucks I've ever had.

My only complaint is that I was just in a minor front end collision, and trying to find a Sport front bumper and the 4" fog lights is tough.

Review Date: 26th April, 2004

2nd May 2004, 15:48

Do you know what causes the "slight stumble"? Where is it coming from? My 1998 Dodge 1500 has what sounds like the same "slight stumble".

10th Dec 2009, 12:06

Did you ever find the bumpers? Restoring mine and the bumpers are rusted beyond repair. Can't find them anywhere?

17th Jul 2010, 21:34

Same. I am also looking for a replacement front bumper due to rust. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 from North America

Summary:

Nice truck, but expensive

Glutton for punishment as I own a 1998 5.2L and a 1999 5.9L Dodge Ram 1500.

To date these are the problems I have experienced with the 1998 Ram Sport, extended cab.

55,000 - AC evaporator replaced Self Repaired $300, Dealer wanted $890+

57,000 - Back-up switch defective $28+ Self Repaired.

69,000 - Output speed sensor replaced, Dealer Repaired $200+

69,900 - Surge Problem, Occurs at any speed 40, 50, 60. Cruise Control On or Off. Occurs when engine is cold or hot, idle is good. Tachometer varies or surges 250 to 300 RPM, no detectable acceleration. Diagnostics indicate no faults found. Problem still exists and not corrected.

70,000 - Steering Column clicking when turning. Dealer says no problem, leave as it.

75,000 - Engine would not start. The Dodge dealer could not isolate problem. However, they did find that; (1) the thermostat had a leak and (2) the "Intake manifold gasket leaks oil into valley into the engine." I was aware that Technical Service Bullitin 18-48-98, 09-05-00 had been issued. Dealer repaired $583+

94,000 - Differential replace. Dealer repaired $980+

General Comments:

Truck has a lot of response and better than my 5.9L Ram. If anyone has experienced the surge problem and solved the problem I would like to know.

Review Date: 29th October, 2003

28th Nov 2003, 11:45

I own a 5.9 L 98 Ram and also have a surge problem at higher speeds. It started for me only in cruise control, but now occurs in or out of cruise and at varying speeds... I find it incredible irksome and fear it may be a sign that the tranny is failing. I have read about ram's speed sensors failing and figure it may also be the throttle position sensor. That said, I am going to start by switching the fluid and see if that helps. I too wish someone knew what was causing this!