2005 Dodge Ram Pickup SLT 5.9 diesel from North America

Summary:

A real, reliable workhorse that could use a nicer cabin

Camshaft position sensor failed at 48,000 miles.

Door seals replaced with re-designed parts under warranty at 11,000 miles.

General Comments:

This has been a great truck. Highway mileage has fallen from 21 mpg to 19mpg in the last 6 years, but it has only needed one minor repair so far since new. Otherwise, just fluid and filter changes. I still have the original tires, batteries and original front brake pads on it.

I do wish the interior were better quality; the cupholder in the dash squeaks, and one dash speaker buzzes sometimes. The optional (and expensive) Infinity 9 speaker stereo sounds only average, and definitely wasn't worth the cost of the option. Parts are sometimes outrageously expensive - I broke the driver's side trailer tow mirror, and the dealership wanted more than $400 just for the part! I've also found dealer maintenance pricing to be high, so I do my own routine maintenance and repair work.

Otherwise, it's been virtually trouble free, and will seat 5 in comfort for long distances while pulling a huge trailer and 2 motorcycles in the bed. I hope the next 6 years are as reliable as the first 6.

Review Date: 13th July, 2011

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup Big Horn 5.9L turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

Great truck, looking at buying another

Worn drivers seat, improved from previous model though (cloth).

Squeaky brakes.

Takes a little longer than expected to warm up when cold out (10ºF to -20).

General Comments:

Very powerful, gets the job done easily.

Rides very smooth. Much better than comparable Ford and Chevy options.

Handles great for a truck, almost car like.

Picked it up for a bargain ($12,000 off listed MSRP).

Never gets stuck, not even when run through 4' of snow or doing some pretty difficult off-roading.

Doesn't perform as well as the previous body style.

Review Date: 13th December, 2009

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup Laramie 5.9 turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

Best truck I have ever owned

Power drivers seat motor came apart at about 55,000 miles and dealer wanted $600 for the replacement unit not including installation (you cannot buy just the motor). I went on the Internet and found a dealer that would sell it to me wholesale for $300, and I installed it myself.

The chrome on the front grill is starting to bubble.

I replaced the shocks (Rancho 9000) on the truck at about 40,000 to see if it would soften the ride. It seems to have helped a little, but the truck never really rides smooth until you have a good size load on it.

General Comments:

Other than the issues listed, I have not had any problems with the truck.

I would say this is the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had a bunch.

I use the truck basically as my day to day transportation, and get just over 20 mpg in the city.

I also use the truck about once a month to go to the auto auction. I will pull a trailer and bring back whatever I purchase. The truck pulls with ease anything I can put on the 7000lb rated trailer.

Review Date: 6th April, 2009

12th Jan 2012, 18:34

UPDATE: Truck now has just over 100K and is still running great. Mileage has gone up, so I am now averaging 23 mpg city and highway. Bluetooth option (Uconnect) went out at around 90K. Other than that, I have just replaced the regular maintenance items, tires, brakes, and batteries.

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup Laramie 5.9 turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

The truck has a rough ride, but can haul anything I throw at it

I replaced the shocks at 45000 miles with Rancho 9000 all around to help soften the ride.

Power seat motor went out at 55000.

General Comments:

I purchased the truck new to replace my F150 crew cab, which could not haul my trailer as needed.

Cummins Diesel does a fantastic job of pulling my 7000 lb loaded trailer.

Gas mileage was pretty steady at 18 MPG around town until I hit 40000 miles on the truck and then it went up to 20. Highway is about 25 unless I am pulling the trailer and then it is a pretty steady 18.

My truck has the Laramie package, which comes loaded with every imaginable option. The 6 way power seats are great for long trips and so is the premium sound system. The truck also has a "quad cab", which features four doors and seating for six. The best option I have found is the bluetooth hands free Uconnect phone that works through the radio of the truck.

Review Date: 13th February, 2009