Good overall, better than expected
SRS light on @ 40,000
Bad Clutch @ 50,000
Bad Thermostat @ 80,000.
I have to admit that I've never given the Stealth/3000GT lines the respect they deserve. I've always believed that the reliability for Mitsubishi's were far worse than Toyotas/Nissans and Hondas.
It has actually been a good, solid car!
- Good acceleration... but it's a heavy car so the 222hp isn't as fast as you might expect.
- Good handling... but there can be a little wheel hop and some moderate torque steer which detract from the experience.
- Excellent paint (although I ruined mine) with a high quality base/clearcoat in comparison to single-stages like the MR2.
- Beautiful body that doesn't need body kits or other modifications.
- Leather seats are high quality and comfortable.
- Good Reliability. Its not an Accord, but it's a sports car so "good" is "great".
- Moderate Maintenance costs:
= 60k/120k service: $1,000.
She's been a solid car. Just make sure to:
- get the 60k/120k timing belts replaced
- Replace your thermostat! For some unknown reason, the thermostat goes into "CLOSED" mode when it fails, so when it fails your car will continue to increase temperate until it overheats (and could cause serious harm)
- use a dealer when possible: my local Firestone screwed up my wheel hubs and slave clutch cylinder, my alarm installed tripped my SRS light (a common problem) and the dealer couldn't turn it off.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 23rd March, 2004