2012 Fiat 500 Sport 1.4L from North America

Summary:

A well built machine. Sensibly laid out for 2

None. It has quirks, though, namely with the Multiair system around 25-35 degrees F. The engine will sputter for around 15 (sometimes 25 or so) seconds then clear up & run normally. At colder temperatures it actually does better & the pattern has been consistent. I've grown accustomed to it. At warm temperatures it starts fine. I've read up on the situation & there a few theories on it, but I believe in keeping fresh, thin oil in the engine, which is also used by the Multiair assembly, basically an electro-hydraulic set-up causing the misfiring through its solenoids.. The book calls for 5W-30 oil (only) but I use 5W-20.

Oh, and I did replace the 2 front wheel bearings, doing the work myself other than the removal & pressing in of the bearings itself.

One more thing, a common problem on these is chafing of the electrical wires going in to the rear hatch. Mine was affected by this. My remedy was to put a universal license plate light on it (originals were blown) & I never use the rear defroster or wiper anyway. I did try to repair the chafing the best I could.

General Comments:

I bought mine right as Covid came on the scene in May of '20. It had sat on a used car lot for a solid 7 months. She was a little beat up here & there, but it was more cosmetic on the outside. My hunch was the 124k on the speedometer were highway miles but I've no knowledge of the car before I got it.

I agree with all the comments others have made about the car. It is what it is. I've removed the rear seat, tweaked the car to my liking & have had no problems. I believe the clutch to be original, the brakes are wonderful, & I drive it like an old lady these days. I don't even use the A/C. I've put six thousand miles on it now, trouble free. My biggest improvements to the car were new spark plugs, and more recently a new STP air filter, which made a difference. It helps to be mechanically inclined (as with any vehicle) but there's nothing mysterious about the 500. I'm sure the timing belt & water pump are original & so they will remain for quite a while.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2022

2012 Fiat 500 Pop 1.4 from North America

Summary:

I will never buy another Fiat

Window stopped rolling down.

Inside fan switch stopped working.

Shifter trim torn.

The engine just died and needs a rebuild. At 75K miles?

General Comments:

All service done on time and I took very good care of the car. Adult owned and never driven hard. To have the engine break down at 75K miles and need a rebuild is disconcerting and frustrating. The dealer told me sorry and said this sometimes happens.

Review Date: 9th February, 2017

12th Feb 2017, 04:32

Sorry to hear your engine tanked :(

What did your mechanic say went wrong?

26th Feb 2017, 19:11

You know, some one must write a book about dealer's lines.

"This is the first time I see this" (Volvo dealer to customer about the T6 transmission issue that touched all T6 XC90 cars)

Or "This is normal, all cars do this" (about annoying suspension knock the dealer doesn't seem able to fix)

Yes main dealers are artists at throwing lines like such. It's like a lying university degree they have.

2012 Fiat 500 Pop 1.4L gasoline from North America

Summary:

Great fit and finish

Previous owner replaced shifter boot under warranty.

General Comments:

I bought this base model Pop used and I am very happy with the fit and finish. This car has everything you need and nothing you don't need. If you want a car with many extra large cup holders and lots of little storage compartments, then this car isn't for you. I love that it is simple.

I have no complaints about the quality of materials. Being that it is a compact car, I thought it would be a noisy rattle-trap on the road, but it is the smoothest and quietest car I have ever known.

Review Date: 5th July, 2015

6th Jul 2015, 10:49

'Fit and finish' is usually a term reserved for how well panels come together. If you have gaps between panels, or they don't fit properly, the car is said to have poor fit and finish.

I think the term you're looking for is 'equipped'; having only a few cup holders means a car is less equipped than one with more. Being more equipped means having more features (but in this case, you're saying that less is more). A Cadillac Escalade EXT might have leather seats, navigation system, and 4WD; a Honda Accord might have none of these, and the Cadillac is considered to be more (or better) equipped.

I'm surprised the Fiat has quality materials, considering the price point. I rented a 2014 Mirage about a year ago, and it was decent in this category, too.

PS I see your last car was a RAV-4. A very loud car indeed. I used to work at a Toyota dealership, and every generation RAV-4 was loud, raspy, and thirsty (even the newest one).

6th Jul 2015, 21:06

Yes, I think you articulated what I was trying to say. I saw that some complained that the plastics and other materials of this car seemed cheap to them, but I feel exactly the opposite. This car feels very solid and tight to me. Not to compare apples to oranges, but the hood of this car doesn't flap like it would on my RAV4. I think this car is a great value if you were in the compact car market.