1996 Fiat Brava S 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Weird looking piece of junk

The car suffered from a failed timing belt pulley. The engine had to be rebuilt as a result, costing me over £800.

The rear wiper stopped working some time ago. I have not bothered getting it fixed.

The ignition switch feels like it is worn. The same happened to my Punto. The key has to be turned carefully - it doesn't seem to 'connect' if the key is turned too far.

The car had a nasty oil leak, but can't remember exactly what caused it.

Malfunctioning rear lights were caused by a bad earth connection.

The door-handles look as though they are disintegrating.

There's something not quite right about the general running of the engine. It doesn't idle properly from a cold start and can be a little rough at other times too (light throttle openings at steady speeds). The new sensor a garage fitted didn't cure the problem properly.

It isn't dangerous though, as the car accelerates firmly when required to. It also passes the emission test easily and delivers the expected MPG. I've decided to leave it alone for the time being, as I'm used to it. I know exactly how to drive around the car's consistent and very predictable rough behaviour.

General Comments:

In my opinion, the Brava gives the driver a very poor view out; the car is difficult to see out of in all directions. Real care has to be taken at junctions, roundabouts and around pedestrians.

The bulbous shape combines with poor visibility to make parking quite difficult. Many Bravas seem to have parking knocks.

I find the dipped headlights poor in contrast with main beam, which is the best I've known. The contrast is the annoying thing.

The car's performance is acceptable enough, although it isn't particularly fast. I am quite a gentle driver so I find it quite adequate.

I am more than satisfied with the car's cornering ability. It is quite confidence inspiring.

I don't like the car much in a straight line, however. It seems sensitive to wind and the steering, though sharp with plenty of 'feel', doesn't seem very firmly centred.

The driver's sun visor is worse than useless! It has a sloping shape. It blocks the view of the rear-view mirror once positioned down far enough to stop the sun.

The can-holder deserves a special mention. Basically it doesn't. Not when the car is moving anyway. Perhaps Fiat was trying to tell us something about passive safety and about driving with unsecured objects in the car.

The Brava must hold the record for possessing the most brake-light bulbs. My Christmas tree is less generously lit!

I must say that Fiat now do a respectable job of rust-proofing their cars. I remember seeing a Strada which had holes in it at just 4-years old.

Review Date: 30th April, 2006

1996 Fiat Brava ELX 1.8 from Malaysia

Summary:

The car have good performance and handling

I brought the car at the used car dealer.

Seat have started to wear badly.

The engine timing belt and the pulley blew while I am cruising on highway.

Expensive spare parts and hard to find service centre.

Water come in from sunroof while I wash it.

The warning like very troublesome.

General Comments:

This car has excellent handling and performance.

The ride is less comfort because hard absorber.

1.8 is quite powerful and stable while overtaking and cruising and highway.

The bucket seats offer good support while cornering and comfortable too.

Review Date: 11th January, 2005

6th Apr 2006, 07:16

I have bought one second hand Brava 1.4s from england. It is good stylish car of its kind. Unluckily it does`t have an air condition. There are dealers for fiat trucks (Incar (T) ltd) how can I get to arrange for spare part from UK?. But So far no problem detected just two months in Tanzanian roads. Can you please suggest how best I can get spare parts from you people incase I need them so that my FIAT Brava can well and always be on the road.