2006 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

You can do better

Power steering motor failed at 18,000 miles (£640).

Seat belt mechanism jammed.

Brakes constantly squeak.

Door locks failed.

Water in rear tail gate.

The horn is so hard to operate, it is not worth having.

General Comments:

The Punto Grande is a typical Fiat; cheap materials, poorly built, and built to a low cost.

If the car had spent an extra hour in the factory and a week in design, it could have been a great little car.

Fiat must make more money selling steering motors than selling whole cars. As this fault has been a Fiat trade mark for decades (come on Fiat!!!).

The main selling point of the car is its looks. My advice would be to look at your neighbour's Fiat, and buy something better built.

Review Date: 29th September, 2012

2006 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.4 from Estonia

Summary:

Pretty good for a Fiat

Engine is leaking oil.

Metallic paint is peeling off.

Constant problems with the front axle and suspension.

Original Blaupunkt stereo ate my CD and refuses to give it back.

Engine is so weak, and the gearbox doesn't work as well as it should do.

The door seals ain't weatherproof, so when it's raining or snowing, too much moisture comes in the cockpit, and mold starts having fun.

And if you drive it more than 30 km, you better bring your earplugs with you, because the road noise inside the car is just awful.

General Comments:

Beside the problems that it has, I still recommend it. It's ergonomic (except the trunk lid opening button), it has a big trunk for a car of its size, it handles very well, and the parts are quite cheap.

Review Date: 27th June, 2011

2006 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic 1.4 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Sexy italian with a nice package

After 2 weeks of ownership, a faulty brake sensor caused the car to shut down at set of traffic lights - this was a good thing, as I guess all the computers etc were doing their job.

I have now hit 28000km, and the water pump needs replacing - thought one of them would last a bit longer.

However in 4 years, it hasn't missed a beat, so I'm certainly not complaining. Fiat has only been back in Australia for around 5 years, and I hope it is here to stay.

General Comments:

For a 1.4, it's quite gutsy.

I love the interior, and that Giugaro design always makes me smile. I love driving it, and am very happy.

Review Date: 20th December, 2010

2006 Fiat Grande Punto Sport 1.4 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Poor quality, bad service - nice to look at though

Power steering failed at 25000km. The fault is well known by Fiat, and the local agent admitted that they had replaced the pump and column units on most of the cars that had been sold, and had a box of faulty ones.

Because my car was imported from Japan, Fiat wouldn't help out with parts costs. The cost of a replacement unit was an insane NZ$2500 plus fitting.

I ended up sending the original part (Fiat NZ wouldn't even give me one of the faulty ones to send over, so my car could at least remain on the road while I waited) to a company in England who repaired it at a much more reasonable price.

Boot catch wore out prematurely, which meant the boot light wouldn't go out. My local mechanic bodged it up for me. He couldn't believe how flimsy the failed part was.

General Comments:

It's a good looking car, but not all that glitters is gold. It is underpowered, has a crashy ride quality, and the plasticy interior rattles something shocking.

The power steering is way too light, and the city mode function makes it even lighter. This must have been developed for people with a muscle wasting disease.

The biggest issue I have with this car is reliability. The power steering failure and the subsequent "not our problem" reaction from Fiat soured the whole experience. Add to that the fact that, had I bought a new part from them to replace the part that failed prematurely, they would have been profiting from their own poor quality product. I can't help but feel that the myriad of complex electronic devices on this car would contribute to a world of long term financial hurt and emotional heartache. I sold the car.

I have to say, I'd never buy or recommend a Fiat again... and I've owned many before.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2010

23rd Feb 2010, 12:13

If your car was a gray-market vehicle (i.e., not sold new by the official agent in your country), don't blame the agent for not supporting you. It's a risk you take for getting a car at a cheaper price than the normal cars. They are under no obligations to extend that service to products they did not import themselves. Most consumer laws make importers responsible for their own products -- not those they did not sell.

24th Feb 2010, 08:17

Another example of FIAT being blamed by people's lack of knowledge, just as it is often being blamed by mechanic's ignorance... these things happen with all makes... just ask yourself if you did the same thing with a TOYOTA, if you would have the same problem...