2000 Fiat Marea ELX 1.6 from Turkey

Summary:

Comfortable, large (especially baggage), good car

I had to change the trigger at 75.000 km despite I was shown "shold be changed at 95.000 km" in Marea manuel book.

I had a injection light problem at 80.000 km related with 2 th and 3 th pistons injection controller unit. Car doesn't go despite I fully pump the gas. I changed it.

General Comments:

If I compare with my 2000 Toyota VVT-I, it has more maintenance cost.

But the services materials are more cheaper than Toyota.

In a way they are balanced with each other.

I hear the noisy engine at first 100 km of road in long distance journeys.

Review Date: 24th November, 2004

2000 Fiat Marea JTD 105 SX 1.9 JTD from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent car, shame about the suspension

Air mass sensor was gone when I bought, but I bought it privately and it was a bargain. The air mass sensor was a Bosch part and cost £160 and £62 for fiat to tell me what the problem was. I fitted it myself.

I replaced the anti roll bar drop links, these were very cheap to replace and easy enough to fit.

I get a thunk on taking up gear, and a thunk from the front off side suspension on some speed bumps. It needs to become a lot worse before I can identify exactly what the problem is, fiat told me it was just the anti roll bar drop links which I replaced and half fixed the problem.

General Comments:

I am very pleased with the car.

It was very cheap at £4100. The common rail engine is very good, however I feel it is a little under powered, and I am tempted to get it tuned to 150bhp. I have driven the 110 JTD and it is has a lot more torque although it is a little noisier.

It cruises very well on the motorway doing 84mph at 3000 rpm.

It returns about 48mpg on average.

It does generate a little wind and road noise at speed though.

Review Date: 19th October, 2004

21st Nov 2005, 08:44

I have recently brought a 2001 (51 plate) Marea 100 sx. It is a nice car to drive, underrated in the used car market and a bargain. I too have had the clonks from the suspension and investigation shows the Torsion bar links and Rear bump stops are the culprit. Seems to be a common theme with these Fiats, luckily though its dead easy and cheap to put right so grab yourself a bargain saloon.

2000 Fiat Marea JTD ELX Weekend 1.9 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Sensible Diesel estate car. Does it's job

Rear door handle stuck solid and could not open. Not good on an estate car which is used. The part cost about 30 pounds and a spring had seized inside.

Then the drivers door handle snapped on the front part This was a big job to replace as most of the inner door had to come off. Aparently both are known faults by fiat.

The centre console between the drivers seats compartment doesn't shut. The plastic piece snapped and keeps on springing up.

General Comments:

Damn nice comfy ride and a big enough boot to move most items.

The diesel engine can move when it wants and it handle's pretty well for an estate.

Have towed a caravan and a trailer tent with no problems what-so-ever.

Review Date: 10th March, 2004

2000 Fiat Marea ELX 19 JTD from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good family size Estate

Drivers door made load clicking noise when opening and closing. This turned out to be just a loose part.

Needed new tires after 24,000 miles.

General Comments:

Decent sized boot with drop down tailgate.

Comfy drive.

Quick for a diesel and good miles to the gallon.

Good amount of electric toys.

Review Date: 31st March, 2003

2000 Fiat Marea 155 hlx 20 litre 20v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

If BMW built it a superb car

Handbrake warning light worked occasionally.

Brake-pad warning light never worked.

Window strip at bottom of rear window prevented driver's door from opening when warm.

Stereo broke.

One rear speaker broke.

Trim rattles.

Rust on 3 patches of roof which Fiat agreed to repair.

Remote control key always showed as having low battery even with new ones.

Power steering rack leaked and was replaced.

Paint very soft and scratched easily.

General Comments:

Long after Fiats reputation for rust disappeared, I found 3 large rust spots on my roof, one the size of a 5p coin. Fiat agreed to carry out the repair on a car just over 2 years old. Unfortunately by this time I had lost faith in the car and feared for its longevity.

To drive its hard to imagine it costs so little for an example so young. Mine was just 8 months old with 11000 on the odometer. Cost?... a meagre £7000 with 2 yrs warranty.

A lovely engine and excellent handling packaged in a relatively good looking body.

Brakes are only adequate and poor fuel consumption, unless you drive extremely gently.

I previously owned a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting which in 18 months required only a speedometer cable.

The interior space is limited, but the boot is large.

If you find a good one you'll love it. If you don't, you either put up with minor electrical and trim gremlins or your local dealer will be on first name terms.

Review Date: 6th August, 2002

2000 Fiat Marea SLX 2.0 petrol unleaded from Venezuela

Summary:

Doesn't shine at anything

Driver's side front window (electric) stopped working about 2 months after buying the car (fortunately the window was up). The dealer took 16 weeks to get the spares to fix it.

At about 17.000 Km, the car developed a noise in the front suspension which the dealer has not been able to fix. The noise consists of a thud, from the front left part of the car when letting off the accelerator abruptly while accelerating quickly or going up a hill. The noise has gotten worse with time. It is not noticeable if the car is driven at VERY smoothly.

General Comments:

The car has good acceleration and a reasonable top speed (205 Km/h), but I expected more judging from the power and the weight (manufacturer's specs).

The gas consumption is unacceptably high for the performance and the size of the car. I find it difficult to get more than 9Km to the liter even on the highway at relatively slow speeds (140 Km/h).

The Alfa was of roughly the same power and of the same engine capacity, but used much less gas and was quicker all around.

I'm 1,85 mt. in height and the car is a bit cramped, again compared to the Alfa.

It is not a bad car, but after the Alfa it was a let down.

Review Date: 24th November, 2001

13th Dec 2002, 18:19

You think an Alfa is a good car?! Ha Ha Ha! Funny.

9th Feb 2003, 19:55

As for the knocking sound from the front it sounds like an engine mount splitting.

20th Jun 2009, 02:16

What Alfa???

2000 Fiat Marea SX AB AC 1.6 Unleaded Fuel from Turkey

Summary:

An Italian saloon with the perfomance of a horse and the comfort of a star!

A squeaking sound came from the back seats.

General Comments:

There's enough seating for the passengers in the front, but not at the back.

It has more space in the baggage area than needed.

It responds quick to the drivers actions.

The steering-wheel also responds quick to the drivers actions.

Review Date: 13th April, 2001