1985 Fiat Panda Reviews

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership1987
Most recent year of ownership1992
Previous carMorris Minor

Summary:

A quality economy car

Endemic rust at the base of both doors.

General Comments:

Cheap and reliable runabout - in black even the rust didn't show!

Ex-wife's car - she thought it was the bees knees too - cheap to buy, run, service and insure - lots of space and pretty tough. I reversed it into a parked car with no damage to either, and I was going at a fair lick - big soft plastic bumpers.

No idea how it ended - mileage finally covered as the little Panda took her away when she ran off with another fella in the early 90's - I miss that car, but not the ex ha ha ha!!

Review Date: 7th November, 2013

1985 Fiat Panda 4x4 1.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1985
First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.0 petrol Manual

Summary:

Why have they stopped making them??

Snapped leaf spring.

Window fell out of the driver's door.

Engine blew up (no oil) and the fuel tank rusted through.

General Comments:

I bought the car off someone's driveway, as a joke for £150.

It turned out to be better off-road than a Vauxhall Frontera, a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I took it on an Army vehicle testing track, and went everywhere they did!

It could do with a little more power and perhaps a longer 5th gear for motorway driving, but I wouldn't swap it for any other car.

Review Date: 17th September, 2000

1st Feb 2001, 15:06

I have had three Panda 4x4's, I am currently running an '88 model. I am looking for another 4x4 with twin sunroofs like my first one, as I think you get the best of both worlds - open top motoring and 4x4 safety.

14th Jun 2001, 20:14

Brilliant cars, I'm toying with having a new pair of gears made for 5th gear, as the engine howl on the motorway is a bit much, I don't want to kill the mountain climbing ability (comment from a landrover owner 'you drove it up there!?!?!'), should boost mpg too, anyone else interested? It will probably get cheaper to have a small batch made than just one pair...

17th Jul 2001, 15:55

I own E46 LFB and living in Devon has meant that I have been able to drive over some of the more harsh terrain of Dartmoor and all I can say is...

FANTASTIC!! (but bumpy).

17th Oct 2001, 09:39

I am now using my second 4X4 Panda and I love it! I am 6'4" and it one of the few cars I have enough head room in. Off road it can embarass a lot of larger 4X4's.

16th May 2002, 15:22

I'm 6'6" while it has got way way more headroom than a range rover (guess they were made for shorties...), not quite enough for me, so I hacked a maestro seat to be an inch lower and 2 inches further back on the panda runners, much nicer! Off road is amazing, really embarrases the big 4x4 posemobiles.

27th Mar 2005, 21:58

That is the perfect SUV I have ever had, it is 1985 model and it has 180000km on it,but still nothing can beat it off road. It is a cool fun-car!

7th Jan 2012, 08:08

Dear owner of E46 LFB.

This is a long shot (your post being over 10 years old). I think I may have sold you this little beauty. How's she doing? Would you consider selling her back?

Thanks.