1996 Fiat Punto Reviews

1996 Fiat Punto 55S 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1996

Summary:

Great wee car, if for a few niggles

Back part of exhaust needed replacing at age 7 (approx £45).

Water bottle (?) needed replacing at age 7 (approx £25.00).

Front part of exhaust needed replacing at age 8 (approx £75).

Scooshers (screen washers for the non scottish) fail every MOT and need to be adjusted.

Rear scoosher, and rear wiper have never worked since I bought this car. However, the heated rear windscreen functions.

Lock on the driver's side has become loose or something, so basically the lock slides down into the locked position as soon as the door closes.

Release mechanism for the boot randomly stopped working, and as yet, I have never had it looked at.

General Comments:

Slight rust around bottom, but hasn't spread too much, and is pretty good considering it is 10 years old as I write this.

The car is pretty nippy considering its 1.1 engine.

Feels like it is tilting a bit too much when going round roundabouts.

Inside of the windows freeze up in the winter really badly, I'm talking thick ice!

Overall I am happy with my little car. Considering it is a smallish car, it has plenty of room on the inside, and is comfortable. Passengers have commented on the front and particularly the back seat (where cars can often fail), and how firm and high up it is, with enough leg room.

The boot is also pretty big for a small car.

The only time I think about replacing this car is when I am in a bad mood with my hands full, and can't get in the door without putting everything down (need to turn my key and lift handle at same time), or if it is winter and I need to be out 20 minutes early to de-ice both the inside and out. However, if I was to get the door fixed, and have no more cold winters, I would be happy to live with this car till it was past its best.

I have never had to spend any major cash on it, and love its nippiness.

Review Date: 25th July, 2006

1996 Fiat Punto 55S 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1996
Distance when acquired42000 miles

Summary:

Ideal first car

Sump corroded at 50000 miles.

Starting to rust along bottom of drivers door.

Clutch trust bearing failed at 55000 miles.

Head Gasket blew at 60000 miles cause unknown.

General Comments:

I was very happy with the car, it was cheap to own and insure.

It always started first time every time and had no faults or breakdowns apart from those mentioned above.

The performance was reasonable (noisy and unstable on motorways) considering it was a 1.1 - perfect first car or city car.

It was quite spacious for a supermini, however it was very basic (i.e no electric windows, sunroof, central locking etc).

Review Date: 2nd September, 2005

1st Nov 2005, 00:55

My brother bought a punto 55s and souped it up.

10th Feb 2006, 05:32

The Fiat Punto 55s is a fantastic first car. The controls are easy to adapt to and the size of the car is brilliant for maneuvers. I was given a Fiat Punto 55s for Christmas 2005 by my parents and it had just 41,000miles on it. I have taken it from the very north of Scotland to the south in one day and it is a good runner for in the city. Good points are:

* Size - Not too long or wide

* Spacious Interior

* Controls are clear and easy to use

* Low fuel consumption

* Cheap to Insure, Tax and Cheap tyres

* Looks fantastic for a small car

* Can gather speed quickly for a small engine - nippy.

Bad points about the Fiat Punto 55s:

* No Power Steering

* No electrics or central locking.

As you can see not many faults, recommended city car or car for new or nervous driver. I love it!