1997 Ford Aerostar xlt 4.0L from North America

Summary:

THE THUNDER WEDGE, I affectionately called her

Well considering the brakes failed on me on the highway before I scraped of the van, I would say it was pretty good.

The front seats kept braking on me, but I kept replacing them with scrap, I mean recycling yard seats (wind-star seat works).

The muffler fell off on the highway.

The power steering leaked on me before I put the beast to rest to.

General Comments:

I loved this van, if was one of my all time favorite cars I have owned. It was white with a red, blue and yellow stripe down the side. I kept the seats out and had an air mattress in the back.

I would recommend an aerostar to anyone who needs a cheap reliable van.

Review Date: 19th September, 2006

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

The best van ever made..

Nothing has gone wrong so far. Just your normal basic routine maintenance.

General Comments:

I have had all kinds of vans and trucks. We own a 24-hour roadside assistance company. And we have a very large fleet of vehicles. I would definitely buy more Ford Aerostars before any other van on the market. We have had Chevy vans (garbage), as well as Dodge, and they don't last whatsoever. Ford Aerostars have in our fleet. Thanks Ford for building something right.

By the way, anyone that said Ford did not make a 1997 Ford Aerostar does not know anything, but how to drive one!!!

Review Date: 10th November, 2005

11th Nov 2005, 12:26

Seriously? Nothing at all has gone wrong in 3300 miles? Now there's a ringing endorsement.

28th Nov 2005, 16:34

OK, how about 175,000 miles with out a major repair? Is that reliable? Then again, the engine only lasted 190,000 miles. My '93 had 245,000 miles when a deer jumped in front of us and destroyed the front end. Within two weeks, I replaced it with a '97.

15th May 2007, 00:15

You should not be so quick to brand vehicles manufactured by Dodge and Chevy as problematic, when you have had neither for more than a few thousand miles. Perhaps you have had the others for a longer time than the Aerostar and you are unfairly comparing the two.

18th Oct 2008, 19:05

Mines been very reliable; 300,000 kms of reliability to me more precise! Of course I've had some routine consumeable parts, but that's quite normal.

The entire drive train is still original. I've had a starter motor, which needed new brushes, & a bearing go in the alternator & a camshaft drive synchronizer fail, BUT that's pretty good IMO!

If Ford brought them back, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

21st Oct 2009, 17:02

Well, I can personally attest to exactly how crappy Dodge minivans are... I had a Grand Voyager (same as Dodge) and it went through seven...yes, SEVEN, as in one more than six, transmissions in UNDER 45,000 miles. What only added insult to injury was the dealers' complete lack of caring (note apostrophe use, it went to three different dealers and each one was as indifferent and ineffectual as the next) I finally got rid of it and bought a Country Squire wagon, which went 225,000 miles without one problem. Chrysler is one company that could fall off the face of the automotive universe, and I wouldn't miss it a bit. I've owned three Chrysler products in my life and I got my ass kicked on every one of them!

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT Sport 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Excellent on Flatlands

The rear air conditioning has stopped working. If anyone knows what it may be please comment.

General Comments:

Great vehicle just came back from a 2500km vacation with it.

Slow acceleration.

Not very good on inclines in the hills.

Great mileage and very comfortable seating was great and interior is great shape.

Review Date: 1st June, 2005

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3.0 gas from North America

Summary:

Very well though-out van

Alternator went out.

Starter went out.

Hose for anti-freeze blew.

General Comments:

AWESOME VAN!!!

Very reliable.

Seats; ehhh... they're OK.

Awesome gas mileage; 18-21 MPG.. not bad for an 8 yr old vehicle, huh?

Once again, very reliable; nothing major has gone wrong that we couldn't fix.

Review Date: 15th May, 2005

14th Jul 2005, 21:44

I have an ex US Govt. van with 54K on it. The 3L engine works hard, but I usually get 21 to 25 on highway with it. Had a '91 AWD 4L that was fantastic, it probably is still on the road somewhere. It had a starter go out and broke the overdrive band in the transmission while I had it.

Overall these vans should go for 300K or so... if we can stand them that long.