1997 Ford Aspire GT 2.4L turbo from North America
Buy it only if you have no other choice - Else keep looking
- Front head lights went dead after 65,000 miles; Had to have wiring replaced.
- Brake cables rusted and were no longer usable at the time I traded in the car; Mechanic told me that if I applied them, the brake may not be releasable again without taking the brake system apart.
- At the time of trade, two of the 5 radio station programming buttons no longer worked.
- Clutch plate was toasted at 75,000 miles; An expensive repair.
- Has good gas mileage ~30/35mpg average for street and highway driving.
- It was cheap to buy back in 1997, even brand-new.
- Power from the engine is non-existent (60hp) and would front-end rattle under speeds in excess of 70/mph.
- No real body weight, little power, and no traction control make driving at posted speed limits in significant rain very dangerous to yourself and others around you; Impossible to drive in snow.
- Poor build quality; Was not designed for 100,000+ miles. The fact that this was originally a Kia (Avella) shines through.
- Lousy radio that was barely functional after 5 years of use.
- No power steering, and anti-lock brakes (ABS) was an option (not standard).
- Very ugly styling.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 22nd November, 2008