1997 Ford Aspire Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1997 Ford Aspire 2 Door Hatchback from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

Supercalafragalistickespealadoshuss!!

Master cylinder went two weeks after I purchased car. I was told it would need to be replaced before hand. So I was well aware of the issue.

Had to put on new wipers, at about 85000 miles.

Check engine light came on at 92567 miles, it turned out to be minor muffler emission problem. It cost me $68.72 to fix plus $45.00 for labor.

General Comments:

I LOVE my little red bomber!! I have traveled to and fro with her.

I've seen the Beautyful White Mountains (with no problems I might add with the ups and downs of the mountains). I've camped the gorgeous National Forest camp sites (yes in my car not in a tent as the seats lay all the way down).

I still get between 26 and 31 miles to the gallon!

I'm 48 yrs old and have had a few cars in my time, but none as good as my little red bomber!! I wouldn't trade her for any other vehicle (unless it was her brother or sister of course). She will be with me for life (that's her life).

Review Date: 9th July, 2005

1997 Ford Aspire 2-dr Hatchback 1.3L 4-cylinder from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 1.3L 4-cylinder Manual
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

Economical, yet unsatisfactory car overall

Air conditioner belt installed incorrectly, squealed like a pig after 10,000 miles. Fixed under warranty.

Manual transmission shift linkage broke after about 15,000 miles requiring a shift pattern of 1st - Neutral - 2nd to switch into second gear without it popping back into neutral. Fixed under warranty, but required a 3-month wait for the part.

Air bag control switch broke after about 20,000 miles. Replaced under warranty.

Corroded starter wire starting at 36,001 miles (no joke, one mile past the warranty period) caused the car to not crank in wet/misty weather for the remaining time that I owned it. The problem required continual application of WD-40 in wet weather to keep moisture and corrosion off of the wire, or, when WD-40 was unavailable, required bump-starting the car in 1st gear after a push. (Quite embarrassing.)

Engine sputter surfaced in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears - intermittently - from about 45,000 miles until 80,000. Problem was never able to be diagnosed by mechanics due to the intermittent nature.

Airbag control switch broke - again - at about 50,000 miles. Never repaired.

Air conditioner condenser broke at 77,000 miles. Never fixed due to the $500 blue book value of the car at that point; became the ultimate reason to donate the car to charity.

General Comments:

An economical, yet unsatisfactory car overall.

The Aspire is what it is: a cheap, not terribly well manufactured car for college kids. In fact, that's exactly what I needed it for when I needed it!

The car wasn't terribly powerful, due to it's 63hp engine, and had a mountain of mechanical failures, though it's strengths were in low sticker price (mine was $9,100 brand-new with the A/C and rear-defrost options) and fuel economy (I saw 32mpg city and between 38 and 42mpg on the highway).

The overall vehicle experience was pretty poor due to the uncomfortable seats, cramped cabin, and extremely noisy ride on the highway. A four hour ride would leave your backside sore and numb, with your ears ringing.

Review Date: 9th June, 2005

10th Jun 2005, 18:13

Get yourself a Festiva, same engine same tranny and a lot less weight. I believe some of them even had AC.

7th Sep 2007, 08:27

He might have graduated from college now and bought himself something more substantial than that.

To all of those who consume copious amounts of WD-40 to deal with a corroded contact at the starter: I would have taken off the connection, cleaned it with a wire brush from all corrosion, put it back together and sealed it with either battery pole grease or silicone.