1986 Ford Bronco II Reviews

1986 Ford Bronco II XLT 2.9 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.9 V6 Manual
Previous carDodge W150

Summary:

I will own a Bronco II till I die

Drive shaft broke from over sized tires and too much throttle; cheaper style CV drive shaft replaced with much tougher joint style from a junk yard for about $20.

Clutch went out 3 times, again from way too much throttle. Pretty easy fixes for a do it your-self-er.

Front window leaked during heavy rains, just poured silicone in it and sealed it up.

A/C had a hole in one of the lines before I got it, so I ripped it out to help with the engine temperature. Bronco IIs are known for over heating.

Had some rust in the firewall.

At 350,000 miles I had a spark plug fall apart and blow a hole in one of the pistons, and scraped up the cylinder wall.

General Comments:

I love this truck, handled great on the road and off. Cheap to fix and easy to work on.

Tons of modifications to make it even better. Bigger and better parts can be installed with ease, such as a 4.0L engine's clutch and flywheel; bolts right up and offers a lot more gripping power, bigger axles swap in.

This truck was an awesome all around small SUV. I will own one till I can't drive it any more.

The Bronco IIs don't go without their own faults, but I feel that with the ease of working on them, the availability and cheapness of parts, both stock and more off-road specific, they make an excellent choice for a smaller SUV that is rugged enough for mud/sand/snow/rocks/etc... but still comfortable enough to travel long distances.

Review Date: 10th May, 2009

13th Mar 2010, 21:58

Just wondering what Ford vehicle would have the mentioned 4.0 liter engine to acquire the beefier clutch and flywheel. I have a 86 Bronco II with 2.9 4 speed. Thanks.

22nd Mar 2010, 12:39

The first generation Explorer 4.0 OHV engine will fit right into a BII or Ranger. I have upgraded my 86 BII with an Explorer 5spd transmission that is stronger and bolts right in.

1986 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 2.9 from North America

Model year1986
Previous carDodge Power Ram

Summary:

The Bronco II is reliable

When I purchased my Bronco II it needed an new water pump as well as a battery. I drove it around for approx. 2 months when the engine blew. Here is a list of the following work that I have done to it...

Bored out to.035

Installed larger pistons and rings

Installed competition head and cam

New rings and bearings

New high volume oil pump.

New radiator

New ignition coil

Replaced fuel sending unit

New map sensor

New throttle position sensor

New idle air control valve

Drained transmission and installed new filter

New blower motor

New shocks

New tires

New tires.

General Comments:

So after all of the work that I have done to my little bronco, its basically a new truck. It runs great and now has plenty of power. The small wheel base gets me in and out of tight areas as to where the larger trucks can't go. It doesn't have the best fuel economy

17 city / 21 hwy.

Review Date: 27th October, 2008

1986 Ford Bronco II xl 2.9 litre from North America

Model year1986
Engine and transmission 2.9 litre Manual
Previous carMazda 323

Summary:

A stout 4-wheel drive with few problems..

Alternator.

Cruise control.

Brake guide-pins.

General Comments:

I bought this truck with 109,500 miles on it from a local Subaru dealer, it was traded in by the previous owner. when I got it the battery went dead the next day and I found out that the alternator was bad. The dealer fixed it for free.

Next, the guide-pins for the front brake calipers started backing out, just because they were so old. I replaced them for less than $10.

The cruise control is not working, I'm not sure why. I wish that it worked.

Other than the couple problems I mentioned, the truck has never let me down. I have had it in the snow and mud, and got stuck up to the doors in mud, and it still keeps going.

It gets around 21 miles per gallon, not bad for a truck, but I wish it got better, just because gas is very expensive where I live.

I like having a stout 4 wheel drive, but miss the gas mileage (28-32 miles per gallon) that my last Mazda 323 got.

I would buy another bronco ii, but not another kind of ford.

Review Date: 29th June, 2007