2001 Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 X pack 2.5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great style, great performance, reasonable price

Fuse blows for heated seat / fog lamps - was repaired, but still blows.

General Comments:

Love the engine roar above 5000rpm.

Made my decision to buy as soon as I sat inside it. The cabin seemed so bright and modern compared to other cars I'd been in. It also had a lot of modern features that weren't in the other cars. The leather seats are the softest, best shaped and the perforated look adds that extra style.

At first when driving the car the rear mirror was obtrusive especially on left turns. However I turned it upside down and it was a lot better.

It is more economical than expected, around town only 28mpg, but on runs reaches 36mp (UK) g.

The styling is provocative. It's not clear whether it's sleek, stylish, aggressive, attractive or ugly. From some positions it looks brutal. From others very sleek, low and wind cutting. Some cars look immediately sweet, like the Celica, but the Cougar gets you all ways, more masculine I think.

It's also bigger than it looks, the boot space is large and two people easily fit on the passenger side. I'm 6ft and wouldn't like anyone sat behind me although it happened.

The car has never let me down in any way. The fuse blowing is an irritation especially in winter on leather seats. Every morning it starts and I can cruise in 5th gear at 30mph or 70mph or I can roar away if someone is slug-like.

Review Date: 24th January, 2003

2001 Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 24v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good fun, great looks, a real head turner and still a rare sighting

Nothing... yet!!

General Comments:

Owning a sports car is a first for me. Now the kids are grown up... it's time for the adults to play!

This car meets all our needs. Big enough for 4 (we do have friends, despite having kids!) with a great size boot means that we will be able to tour comfortably in it. The power and performance is exceptional. Nice to know it's there when needed.

I have the cloth seat version - I test drove one with leather, but found I was sliding around like a pea on a drum. The cloth seems much more supportive, although it took a while to get a comfortable driving position. That's a good excuse not to let anybody else drive it!!

Fuel consumption is exceptional for the engine size - recently achieved 38mpg driving on the motorway between 70 and 80, which is pretty good round Birmingham!

Review Date: 26th October, 2001