2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L from North America

Summary:

A great car if you choose wisely

When I bought this car, it had been a Lieutenant's unit and had seen very little use for 12 years. As a result, the coolant had never been changed and many greased parts had dried out, so the maintenance problems I've had are not necessarily the result of poor build quality, but careless maintenance by the police department.

In the year and a half I've owned the car, I've replaced:

- All four ball joints (OEM ball joints are not greasable. Dried out and wore quickly, $750 job.)

- Heater core (corroded and ruptured due to 12 year old coolant, $1000 to replace.)

- Brakes all around.

- Tires (12 years old and dry rotted.)

- Horn stopped working unexpectedly.

- Due to improper coolant mixture used by the dealership, the coolant in my lines froze up on a very cold winter day, resulting in a hose popping off and the engine overheating. No problems resulted other than me being stranded.

General Comments:

Overall, I have been pretty happy with this car and would consider it one of my favorites out of 7 different makes I've had.

Other than the issues of neglect the car experienced, I've had no issues with reliability. I bought this car because of its incredibly low mileage, though with cars more than 10 years old I would no longer recommend this practice. The engine is very young in miles by Crown Victoria standards, and with regular full synthetic oil changes I could reasonably expect 300k miles if I keep the car that long.

The interior of the car is somewhat cheap (lots of plastic) and is prone to cracking. The fit and finish is nothing to write home about; lots of rattles and squeaks when driving on rough roads. Seats are pretty comfortable with electric lumbar adjustment and interior space is enormous; you almost need a megaphone to talk to your passenger side.

Power is generous with the 4.6L V8, and I don't think I've ever opened the throttle all the way. Steering is acceptable, though with the 03+ models you will see a marked improvement due to the implementation of rack and pinion steering. Turning radius is fair.

I routinely drive long distances of 500+ miles with this car, and it is comfortable on long road trips. With all season tires I routinely get close to 25MPG highway; not bad for such a big car.

Overall, a good purchase, even though I've had to sink more than half what I paid for the car into repairs already.

Review Date: 9th December, 2014

19th Dec 2014, 05:39

- Tires (12 years old and dry rotted.) That's scary!!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC V8 from North America

Summary:

Cheap reliable transportation in police form

Replaced ignition coil + spark plug.

Replaced bank 1 cam sensor.

Needs ball joints.

Needs one wheel bearing (driver's side).

Needs alignment.

Minor rust around quarter and fenders.

Rust on the roof.

Burns 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles.

General Comments:

The car has been great. Easy to repair. OBD2 makes my repair jobs take 5 minutes. I can feel the ball joints and wheel bearing going out, but that's an easy repair. I just keep driving it, expecting it to break down, but it hasn't.

It has the Police Interceptor package, but is hardly any more powerful than the standard model Crown Vic. Just has the 3:73 gears and programmed ECM from police use. Also has an aluminum drive shaft and larger suspension coil springs.

Other than that, the car's interior feels like cheap plastic, but I don't care because it keeps driving. My last 4.6L Ford engine had about 180k miles, and started burning lots of oil through the valve seals. This one is starting to burn about a quart every few weeks. For the car's size, it does handle amazingly well. It's not all that powerful until you get up to highway speeds.

My fuel mileage is about 18MPG city/21MPG highway.

Review Date: 1st June, 2012

7th Jun 2012, 22:16

Thanks for being honest about it not being that much faster than the civilian Crown Vic (which it isn't).

So many reviewers on this site claim their tired old CVPIs are some sort of indestructible super cars...

18th Jul 2012, 11:30

Update on my review: I changed my alternator last week. Did it in under 30 minutes while on my lunch break at work! Easy to change, that's for sure.

As for the other comment above, yeah, the car is really no faster than the standard model. In actuality, the car isn't faster than most V6 family cars of today's standards. Even the other officers I work with agree. In fact, they agree that the 90's model LT1 Caprices outperform in some aspects. But in no way would it keep up to the Dodge Charger Hemi Interceptor.