2013 Ford Escape Reviews

2013 Ford Escape SEL 2.0 turbo from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Automatic
Previous carHyundai Santa Fe

Summary:

Terrific

My touch screen went blank. It took a week to fix the problem, but the dealer rented me a new car to use.

General Comments:

I can't find anything negative to say about my Escape.

The turbo engine is quick and responsive, and the 6 speed transmission is very smooth.

Gas mileage is fantastic; 12.5km per liter

Leather seats are very comfortable

Continental Contact Pro tires handle well in rain or on dry pavement. In winter I use snow tires, as any responsible driver should.

There is plenty of cargo space, especially with the rear seats down.

We love the panoramic roof.

Fantastic 5 year 100,000km warranty on the power train and electronics.

Review Date: 5th October, 2013

2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6 EcoBoost from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 1.6 EcoBoost Automatic
Previous carToyota Tacoma

Summary:

Wish I'd kept my truck

Immediate recall 1 week after registration of the vehicle. Dealer never bothered to contact me. Got a stock letter in the mail. The engine has the possibility of leaking fluid that causes engine fires.

Brakes started squealing while backing down driveway after about 4000 miles

The engine revs and will stick anywhere from 3000 RPM to 5000 RPM sometimes while in cruise control, and other times while driving in precarious snow conditions, with just the slightest touch on or off the gas pedal to account for winter conditions. This will most times not resolve unless one hits the brake pedal; a very dangerous move in some of the snowy conditions I have driven in.

The 18 inch stock Continental tires do not perform to any acceptable level in snow conditions, and I feel very insecure on wet pavement as well.

DO NOT EXPECT TO GET THE GAS MILEAGE FORD HAS BRAGGED ABOUT FOR THIS VEHICLE. Mine stated 22-30 MPG, and the only way that I have come close to the upper end is coasting down hill from a low speed start. Average highway ratings for my vehicle for first 7000 miles is 22-24 at highway speeds ranging from 65-75mph. This includes stock Continental all weather tires and Goodyear winter tires.

The button to open the back door is hidden in a recess below the license plate. If the car is dirty or snowy, you get your hand or gloves wet/dirty trying to access it.

My radio is controlled by way of the dash board and steering wheel controls. Sometimes I am locked out of the on/off function, volume control or fine tuning the radio at the dashboard level.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2013

3rd Jan 2013, 16:22

I thought the whole idea of placing the button there was so you could use your feet. Why are you using your hands??

3rd Jan 2013, 20:45

Fords have been bursting into flames for years, actually decades. They are very poorly engineered and generally dangerous. I'm a mechanic, and I would never trust my family in any Ford. Treacherous, deadly junk!

7th Jun 2013, 13:27

Then why are you reading about Fords!!!!

2013 Ford Escape SEL 1.6 turbo from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.6 turbo Automatic
Most recent distance2000 miles
Previous carFord Fusion

Summary:

Very good small SUV

Nothing broke while I had this truck.

General Comments:

Nice step-up from the previous revision.

Mileage came NOWHERE near the EPA estimates.

Nervous & bumpy ride on rough roads due to the stiff truck-like suspension and low-profile and expensive wheel/tire set-up.

I have rented two of these on business. Both were SEL, FWD, 1.6 turbo, with leather and touchscreen controls. One I had for about 200 miles around Pittsburgh. The other I had for about 1000 miles in Houston. After ~1000 miles, 95% on the 8 Beltway, this thing only returned 24 MPG... well under Ford's pipe dream EPA estimate of 33 MPG. Maybe after the engines break-in, owners will gain another 9 MPG on the highway???

The touchscreen controls are absolutely horrible. After a week I have fairly good mastery of the touchscreen, however I would NEVER want such controls on a vehicle I own. Hard to see in direct sunlight, can't adjust AC and radio at SAME time. Hard to make selections and getting to desired menus in traffic. I'll take separate, manual controls for radio, HVAC and GPS anytime, over these touchscreen infotainment control centers. I wonder what happens in 4 years when the touchscreen glitches-out... No AC, no heat, no radio, and a $2000 repair estimate???

I'd consider buying one of these with manual controls, cloth seats and a taller sidewall wheel/tire combo.

Review Date: 4th November, 2012

23rd May 2013, 22:43

Did you not look in front of the gear shift and notice the manual A/C controls?

Also - that is why the infotainment system is an option - you don't have to get it...