1994 Ford Escort CL 1.4 from Slovenia

Summary:

Junk

- The framework was rusting all the time on certain places.

- The brakes went wild one time and kept pressing the brake pads to the wheels. Started burning :s.

- The clutch cable was tearing up every two months or so.

General Comments:

- Low performance.

- High fuel Consumption.

- The handling was very hard and slow.

- Not a very reliable car.

Review Date: 19th May, 2009

1994 Ford Escort LX Estate 1.8 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A very brilliant car with minor faults

First battery went flat because I left the boot light on all weekend.

Next battery went flat as I left the car for a week, and it went flat for no apparent reason, and I had even disconnected the clock!

Bonnet holder broke off (use a piece of wood).

Very small amount of bubbling on rear wheel arches, and a small amount of bubbling on the sills.

Dash lights stopped working and the interior fan.

Rear wiper has a mind of its own.

Headlights no longer work (light stalk).

Tyre came away from alloy (got it repaired for free).

Glow plug relay went (replaced).

Injection pump came out of timing (bearings), and blue smoke because of that, and it still does it.

Fan belt squeaks on start up.

Rust at the bottom of rear tail gate.

Glove box light blown.

Clutch judders when cold.

General Comments:

In my opinion, it's a very good car with its minor faults.

Always starts (when the battery works).

Never misses a beat.

Very quick for a diesel (turbo with inter cooler) 90bhp.

Very economical, even though it uses more fuel than it should.

Goes through gears really well.

Doesn't like to move much when the engine is cold.

Looks like a bus when looking into the rear view mirror.

Lots of space.

Comfy for an Escort.

Very shiny.

Review Date: 21st April, 2009

1994 Ford Escort LX Sport 1.9 SEFI from North America

Summary:

Great commuter car or first car for anyone!

First a seal in the under-body let water in if you went through a puddle.

The 3rd port on the coil pack quit working, so only 3 cylinders would fire.

A plug wire shorted out.

Timing belt broke after 108000 miles. Kinda forgot to get that changed!

Currently not completely sure what seal is bad, but have small compression loss in one cylinder, due to what I believe is a back exhaust manifold gasket.

General Comments:

Considering this car was the first car I ever bought, I love this car! It did lack horsepower, but got great mileage.

It actually handled pretty good for a compact and somewhat sporty car, although it is a bit firm of a ride.

After I had this car for 9 years someone decided to steal it! I finally got it back minus the stereo system 4 months later. The thief had tried to ruin the transmission, but ended up jamming the selector into place, and it was stuck so it could not be driven until I realized that was all that was wrong.

This car has no real blind spots. The windows are well designed and you can see all around.

Review Date: 1st June, 2008

1994 Ford Escort GT 1.8 litre from North America

Summary:

Best $180 I've ever spent!

I was told the clutch was gone when I got it. I replaced the clutch master cylinder (which was leaking down) and haven't had a problem since.

Seat belts don't fully retract.

Spoiler rattles a little.

General Comments:

I love this little car! Fun to drive, and at last check, 37 MPG. (Twice my pick-up) I'm way past my oil change mileage, but when last checked, it is still 100% full. Would like a 6th gear, and a turbo, but I'd just get into trouble!

Review Date: 7th May, 2008

26th Jun 2013, 17:51

Update: It's now June 2013 and the car is still running like a top. I did finally have to do the clutch. Well not the clutch so much as the pressure plate. Several of the "fingers" had snapped. Still approx 30% left on the disk.

I'm averaging 34 MPG, and once in a while get 38 MPG.

Almost got another one with 81000 km, but was a little to slow on the draw. Damn!

One guy had turbo'd his and showed a dyno slip putting 287 HP to the wheels, YAHOO!!! I WANT!!!