1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer V8 5.4 Liter from North America

Summary:

Couldn't have made a better choice

Rear window wiper started working about half the time at 95K miles.

Gear shift indicator came out of alignment and it appeared as though the car was in Neutral when it was actually in Reverse, etc. at 105K miles - Dealer fixed at no cost as a recall.

Right turn signal quit working at 130K miles (Bulb was fine, something to due with electrical) - Took it to dealer and quoted me over $600 to fix. Told them I was going to get another quote and then it fixed itself after about a month, never sure what was wrong and problem never returned.

Driver seat leather started tearing at 160K miles.

Air conditioning stopped working at 210K miles - $300 to fix.

General Comments:

I have been very pleased with the car as it has never once broken down on us and has had nothing, but very minor problems. I recently, about 2 weeks ago drove the car from my house in Miami, FL to my parents house in South Carolina, a 10 hour drive and the car still does a solid 80 MPH on the highway as it did 10 years ago. It has always been a comfortable and roomy car as I stand 6'5 and weigh 235 and could not be more comfortable. This was the first SUV my wife or I have owned and we have been pleased in our decision. My last car (an acura legend) was always a good car and never had many problems with it, but those were my days without children we needed to get something to lug around the family. We always have more than enough room for I, my wife, all the kids and even the dog to get in, along with all of our other crap. My wife and I decided that we are going to trade this expedition in and buy a new expedition in the next couple months. I hope they are as well built as they were in the 90's. If buying an expedition, my only recommendation would be purchasing the Eddie Bauer edition. The only expedition owners I have found that are not pleased with their ownership are those that do not own the Eddie Bauer edition. I have ridden in both my fathers and two of my friends expeditions who have the XLT trim and the ride is no where near as comfortable as mine or my sister-in-law's which are the Eddie Bauer trim.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2008

28th Aug 2008, 12:22

I just bought a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer V8 5.4 Liter yesterday, and it runs like a dream. My only complaint is that it pulls a little to the right, so I guess I'll take it to a mechanic later in the year to check the alignment.

I am surprised that this HUGE SUV handles so well. I am 6' 8" and 250lbs and my son is going to be tall too, so I really needed something with space for the family and camping gear. I know that gas and maintenance will be on the higher end, but that is an expense I’ll have to endure.

1st Jun 2009, 16:42

This is a very helpful review. I myself am 6'7" and am need a vehicle I can fit into and I also want something that is reliable. I bought a Ford truck as my first vehicle I think I'm going to stay with Ford forever.

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Good SUV

Typical items such as oil, battery, alternator, tires. The cruise control must be unplugged do to safety recall. Ford will replace cruise control at Ford's expense.

General Comments:

Great truck, roomy. good power, eats gas!

Review Date: 1st December, 2006

1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 V8 from North America

Summary:

Great vehicle if you need a lot of room, comfortable, reliable, low MPG

Spark plug shot out of the head. Just out of warranty so dealer put me on a program where I only payed part of the cost. Head had to be replaced. Could have probably used a heal-a-coil if dealer did not step up.

Otherwise, very reliable.

General Comments:

Very roomy and comfortable on long trips. Excellent off road, this unit had factor air suspension and LSD differential. Engine power was marginal, had to get into the very high RPM's to get much power. Averaged 12.5 MPG in mixed driving. Vehicle did not track very well on the highway, even with new premium michelin tires and font end allignment.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2005