1998 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 2 of 9

Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4.0 EFI Automatic
Previous carFord Aerostar

Summary:

So Far So Good, but Knock on Wood!

1. Air conditioning module was leaking freon? at 40k miles - $400 repair from dealer

2. Front struts was replaced at 60k miles - $250 in non-dealer garage

3. Indicator bulb for headlights went out at 80k miles - waiting to get service manual to fix it myself

4. Rear left passenger power door lock stopped working at 90k miles - waiting for service manual to repair it myself

5. Rear windshield wipers occasionally doesn't work (or rather worked). I think it has something to do with the outside temperature

6. One LED bulb in the top rear brakelight has burned out - not replacing until all 8 burns out.

General Comments:

We pretty much got the base model of the Explorer with XLT APPEARANCE package. It has luggage racks, tined windows, power accessory group, auto-tranny, etc. So far no transmission or engine problems at 92k miles. (Knock on wood) Someone once told me that the engine they used in the XL model was the same one used in the Toyota 4runner (4.0 EFI). I don't know, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. I am planning for the worst since I've had many FORDs that died horribly on me. My radio works fine. It only has cassette and I added an aftermarket changer. I think people with stereos that have display problems are the ones with the CD players. The car handles terribly. It's so bouncy. It drives like it's predecessor, the Bronco II which the Bronco II could be bouncing because it is named after a horse that kicks. One thing good about the car is that the center seat fold completely flat so it easily sleeps two in the car. It's actually the only thing that's keeping me from trading it in for the new explorers. (I want 7-passenger seating sooo bad)

Review Date: 5th September, 2006

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Engine and transmission 4.0 SOHC V6 Automatic

Summary:

Pretty reliable vehicle for little money

Really nothing. I mean I replaced the brake pads in the rear at one time, and the catalytic converter could use a replacing, but nothing expensive or detrimental at all.

General Comments:

I was quite surprised when I got my Explorer. I bought it with 115000 miles on the clock, and currently have 147k, and still have yet to have a single problem with it, and have yet to put a penny into it really. I am surprised from all the bad reviews. Maybe I got lucky. It's definitely not from taking good care of it, because I really don't. I beat it badly.

I'm actually looking to buy a 2003 now, but am puzzled again from all these reviews. I guess not too many people like to post the good things. People just want to post when the bad things happen, for all to see how upset they are.

Review Date: 13th July, 2006

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic

Summary:

Good design, comfortable, and pretty reliable

Driver Recline Lever broke very easily- seems to be a common problem for this vehicle.

Vehicle is too loud and have had to replace many parts that have cracked as if they're plastic to fix this.

General Comments:

Overall- it's a car that I fell in love with. It's not too big like the newer Explorers, but it's big enough to feel macho and yet it also has a very nice design that really has changed since this years model. Gas Mileage is average- I've been on many road trips throughout the United States in this car and I wouldn't have wanted to take those in any other car besides this. The seats are comfortable according to all the passengers I've had in the car. The Security Lock on this car- so glad they came up with this. Sometimes I can't have a bulge of keys showing due to my military clothes and that helps. It's pretty reliable, but the 02 Sensors seem to always be messed up because of something- I don't know why it's so delicate to everything compared to my other car. But overall- I would recommend this car over any othe SUV around this years model.

Review Date: 24th March, 2006

5th Feb 2010, 00:28

There's a recline lever..?!?!? I guess mine's broke, I just thought that you used the tilt buttons to go back and fourth... I bought the car with 181,000 on it and it seems to be running great. The lot I bought it from said that it was a 2wd, but upon changing the oil there's all the components for 4x4. This has me a bit stumped; maybe an AWD model cause there are no buttons or levers to engage the front drive train...