2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

THE BEST and most reliable SUV on the road!

Cruise control was unwired at 1,000 miles.

Motor burnt up and got it replaced for $1500 at 140k miles.

General Comments:

That was the best car that I have ever owned in my entire life.

I bought it brand new, and it was perfect until the mechanic didn't change the water pump and my motor burnt up. I believe that the truck would have kept hauling if they had replaced it, but I replaced the motor, and shortly sold it afterwards.

It had plenty of power coming from a V6, and I pulled a car with it easily once. The gas mileage was great, and it had plenty of room in it.

I loved it, and would like to get a new one.

Review Date: 8th February, 2010

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 from North America

Summary:

A big MONEY PIT

Rear AC unit replaced.

2 power window motors replaced.

Rear differential replaced.

Torque converter shot.

Severe engine knock that led to the trade in of the vehicle.

Transmission rebuilt.

Lug nuts snapped off the front right wheel twice.

Vibrations in steering wheel - never completely fixed.

General Comments:

I loved the interior design and general layout, but the cost of repairs was grievous.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2010

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Package 4.0L V6SOHC from North America

Summary:

This car is a dream to drive

Battery went dead for no apparent reason.

General Comments:

Read a LOT of reviews when looking at getting into the SUV market.

Ford explorer's generally seemed to get the best reviews. They have been one of the top selling SUV's for a long time now, and I am really starting to see why.

My general impression on Ford was not all too great. Quirky ergonomics inside vehicles, and generally unreliable transmissions.

So far, the experience I have gotten in my new explorer has certainly changed my mind. The interior layout took a while to get used to (door handle location, tranny shifter), but now that I have the feel of it, I LOVE this vehicle.

Acceleration is very good for a V6, I have no problem merging into highway traffic.

Fuel economy is average, a bit of a hit to the pocketbook after switching up from a 4 cylinder vehicle.

The overall ride is incredibly smooth. Some wind noise at speed, but nothing that is distracting or uncomfortable to drive in.

Handles great in slippery/snowy conditions. I drive the Canadian winter year after year, and this truck makes pretty quick work of it.

Cargo room is great, the opening rear window function is a life saver when carrying a big box around.

Seat material is attractive and comfortable. Wanted leather, but am more than happy I went with the cloth.

Overall, this car looks great, and rides even better. I seriously get a huge smile on my face when I am in my truck!

Review Date: 26th February, 2008

2003 Ford Explorer from North America

Summary:

Nice car, but would not purchase from Ford again

The rear lift gate cracked -- we found out this was a factory defect, but they would not cover it due to the miles on the car.

The rear windows will not roll down.

The gear sticks in Reverse when trying to move to Park.

The high beam indicator no longer works.

General Comments:

We were talked into purchasing Automotive Protection Plan insurance when we purchased the car. We made a claim for the latest problems, but they would only pay $48 when the cost to fix the problem is $478.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2007

1st Jul 2007, 10:28

My 2002 Ford Explorer XLT also has a 4-5 inch crack coming from the blue Ford oval on the back window trim. Just appeared out of nowhere.

When starting the car in the morning, a strong vinegar smell is present.

Door hinges constantly need to be tightened.

Paint on hood is cracking.

When shifting from Park to Reverse on slight incline car does not go into gear.

2003 Ford Explorer from North America

Nothing.

General Comments:

This has been a good car.

Gas mileage is not very good.

The third row seat comes in handy when my kids have friends.

I would buy another one in the future.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2007