2004 Ford Explorer Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

LEMON

Auto trans blew up; front and rear wheel bearings bad; front ball joints bad. LEMON.

General Comments:

This SUV was poorly designed mechanically and expensive to repair. But it runs good with decent power. I am a dealer, and lost my shirt on this vehicle. $1500 for used trans and many other parts to repair.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2011

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 liter from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 4.6 liter Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

A cool babe magnet

Nothing!

General Comments:

I love this truck. I got a great deal at a family owned used car lot for $10,000.

This Explorer has the same 4.6 liter V8 as in my previous car, which is a 1997 Thunderbird. In the SUV, the motor seems more gutsy.

I bought this truck because even though my T-Bird has been a great car (I wrote a review on it as well) it was beginning to cost me more on repairs. Not only that, the car is really not meant for more than two people!

I have only had the Explorer for only a week, but you better believe I will hold on to this one! I have always wanted an Explorer. Now I finally have it in my color (Medium Wedgewood Blue). After I make a few payments, I will be installing a Flowmaster exhaust.

I could not be happier!

Review Date: 18th November, 2009

2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Awesome!!

This truck has treated me very well. The only problem was the 4x4 sensor to kick in the 4x4 automatically screwed up so it would lock in my front end a second to late and it would clunk.

Other than that, my truck's been awesome. Love the power of the V-8, love all the options. The DVD player in the back keeps the people in the backseat busy.

An all around good truck, and an awesome 4x4.

Review Date: 8th August, 2008

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Trac Adrenalin 4.0 from North America

Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

A big waste of my money!

Passenger heated seat switch faulty from day one.

Fit and finish was not Job one.

Right rear window intermittently worked from day one.

Cruise control failed at 12,000 miles.

Turn signals lost their seal and fogged.

Fuel gauge worked intermittently, at best, from three months of ownership until the day I traded it in.

The paint on the front bumper peeled off.

Factory installed hard tonneau cover leaked from day one.

At 21000 miles the entire front suspension had to be rebuilt.

General Comments:

I purchased my first Ford in 1994 and loved it dearly until the day I had to trade up to something larger to haul my family. The obvious choice was the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Since I loved my Ranger so much I figured why not go all the way, and get a Sport Trac with every bell and whistle including the Adrenalin package. Boy was I wrong.

The only two good points that this vehicle had the entire time I owned it were,

1. It towed a trailer like a son of a gun.

2. The stereo was awesome!

Almost immediately my wife and I regretted buying this, dare I say, pile of junk.

If you did not pay attention getting in the car-truck whatever it is, you were almost certain to turn on the heated seats (Believe me it is most uncomfortable in the summer). Even though the interior of the Sport Trac shares a lot of common parts with the Ranger, there was a significant lack of comfort with the Explorer that we dearly missed from owning the

Ranger.

Taking a road trip in this car was an adventure in itself since the fuel gauge worked when it wanted to, if it wanted to. Most of the time I could drive an easy 300+ miles on a half a tank then the needle would drop to empty within the next 50 or so miles. The dealership answer to this was "Bad gas" or "your mileage is accurate". I'd like to see a 30MPG Explorer.

The most discouraging part of this entire vehicle experience would have to be the total lack of concern the dealership had toward repairing this vehicle. Sure the easy things were fixed, Seat switches, cleaned up whatever over spray or defect was on the finish, eventually fixed the cruise control, but seemed unconcerned about the fuel gauge, tonneau cover and the front suspension problems.

After at least six trips to the dealership for the fuel gauge issues I finally gave up and just filled it up by mileage, however the final straw was when I sent it in for state inspection and they had to rebuild the entire front suspension.

At 15000 miles I paid the dealership $100 to do the multi-point service and everything checked OK, yet 5-6000 miles later the entire front suspension was shot? This truck never left paved roads, had mostly intestate miles on it and was serviced only by the dealership the it was purchased from. When I asked why it was shot and had to be replaced the answer I received was "That's a Ford". Needless to say I traded it on a Dodge the next week.

Review Date: 19th October, 2006

17th Jan 2008, 16:54

Seems a lot of issues there, I had a 2004 for Explorer Eddie Bauer and that problems that I have encountered are I considered as minor (OH console got loose, power window did not work). Aside from this my SUV still drives and runs perfectly. I'm already on the 51K mile mark right now.