1990 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 EFI Automatic
Previous carSuzuki Samurai

Summary:

Engine held up, but everything else rusted

Let me just say a lot of things. The list goes on and on. She served her purpose at the time, but made her way to the corner of my buddies yard were she sat for a good 2 years before Matt and I got our hands on the Ford. We pretty much destroyed to truck. While she was road worthy it was hard on front tires, but I think this was to blame on bad front bushings. RUST! The F150's around this one were VERY bad for rusting out. The rear fenders were so rusted away the mud would go up in the air and in the box which was also rusted severly. I guess its just the climate here on P.E.I. Also the interiors plastics are crap. Damn near illegal in my books to put that plastic crap in a pick up. The Oil Pan also rusted out as everything else under the truck. You had to be careful of the floor and its great array of holes.

General Comments:

Truck was really quick while the auto transmission held up. It would accelerate very quickly. Also had really good brakes considering the condition of the truck in general. Cabin was a good size, looked a lot better when you ripped the headliner out.

BURNOUTS! let me tell you this truck was fairly good on those. Tires were bald as a babies backside. The Engine was tough as nails too. That 5.0 litre Electronic Fuel Injected V8. It ran until 300 000 kms then went through about 500 kms of insane abuse of two redneck teenagers in a field one summer. Engine would even run with the oil pan blown off, no oil and slowly seizing valve heads. Boy oh Boy good truck, only complaint was the fuel mileage considering how we drove it I would say it got about 7 MPG.

Review Date: 7th January, 2007

7th Jan 2007, 19:50

I have much of the same thing to say about my f-250. these things are tough as nails and take whatever punishment you throw at 'em.

But all good trucks must die someday, mine burnt.

1990 Ford F150 Custom 4.9L I6 from North America

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1989
Engine and transmission 4.9L I6 Automatic

Summary:

Old Faithful

Alternator fried because the previous owner rigged up a bad wiring job. I had to completely replace the brakes in the first year I owned the truck. Wheel cylinders were leaking and pad, shoes, discs, rotors were all replaced. That was probably the previous owners fault. I have just done regular maintenance such as oil changes, etc.

General Comments:

This truck has been great so far. I have only owned it for a year, but it is such a solid truck. The 4.9L I6 engine is awesome. It runs smooth and gets 17mpg in the city and over 20mpg on the highway. This truck doesn't burn a drop of oil and doesn't leak any fluids. It has 94,000 miles and is all stock.

The body is in amazing shape and the interior is very clean. If you are looking for a solid truck for city/highway driving, this truck is for you. The straight 6 engine isn't very powerful, but it has enough HP and torque to get the job done if you need to haul stuff. I have hauled a load that weighed well over a ton and it didn't phase my old straight 6. Passing ability of the highway is OK, and it does just fine on mountian roads if not in overdrive. It's diffinitly not going to win any drag races, but it is a very reliable truck that will satisfy any truck owner who is looking for an all around great truck.

I would highly recommend a 2wd 4.9L F150 to anyone looking for a truck with moderate performance and good fuel economy. This truck is solid and reliable and is perfect for a great all-around truck.

Review Date: 28th January, 2006

18th Nov 2008, 21:58

My name is Kyle, I have an 1989 F-150 with a 4.9L. The truck is completely stock and the motor has over 400,000 miles on her, everything in this truck besides a tune up is original including motor, tran's and transfercase.

The truck has a leak in every gasket on her. I ran her bone dry on oil 3 times. I put a little oil in her and she's running like a demon still. You can't kill these motors, the truck still runs better then all my friend's nice fancy vehicles.

People say I'm a sucker for buying a Ford, but I'll tell you what, I've put this truck through more hell than anyone I know of can do to a vehicle. Not only is she my everyday driving truck, but some weekends I slap on the 35x14.5x15 ground hogs on her and bomb her through a mud hole, and and I've never broken a single part.

So to all those Chevy and Fodge fans out there, SUCK IT, you put 400,000 miles on a Chevy or Dodge truck and see what kind of motor you still have to be able to do what I do with this beast. Of the motor still runs after 270,000 miles LOL.

So to all you Ford fans out there, they're built Ford tough. I'm proud to say I own a ford.

P.S.- 400,000 miles later and no check engine light. Try that Chevy and Dodge after 150,000 miles LOL. God I love Fords.

11th May 2009, 23:46

I have a Ford F-150 Custom. It's green and rusted to hell. They're never clean, cause I tear up every wet clear field. It's never over heated.

I have a straight 6 in it that runs like new. I pulled two Ford Rangers at once in 2nd gear. It's a 4 speed and only thing I ever had to replace is the drive shaft yoke, which was nothing.

All these trucks need that they don't come with is a set of buck shots. I hit a table top in it and landed face first, and didn't even damage the frame. All I need to do is find a new door speaker I blew.