2006 Ford F150 STX 4.6L Triton from North America

A great reliable truck as long as you take care of it

Replaced front wheel bearings at 170000.

Replaced all brake rotors at 170000.

Replaced spark plugs at 160000 (they did not break on me, but I think it was because they had already been replaced before with aftermarket plugs. I know the 4.6L engines from these years were notorious for plugs breaking in the cylinder head, but I know they did make a special removal tool to get the plugs out a lot easier).

The outside edge of the driver's seat that is made of cloth wears thin and rips to make a pretty big hole fairly easily; it was like that when I bought the truck, but I have seen the exact same wear mark in the same spot on a bunch of other 04-08 F150s.

The transmission felt like it was slipping for about the last 10k miles that I had it, but I never did a transmission fluid service, because I wasn't sure when the last one was done or if one was ever done, and I didn't want to mess it up more by changing it with high miles, but when I traded it in, it was still running fine.

The engine always ran great with no problems ever. I always changed the oil every 3k miles with Mobil 1.

Changed the oil pan gasket at 160000 due to a slight leak, but that fixed it.

I got about 14 MPG average, but I never changed the fuel filter out.

General Comments:

This was a great truck. I could fit my motorcycle in the bed, and I took it from North Carolina to Kansas and back twice, both times with over 100,000 miles on the truck already, and it never gave me any trouble, even with my aggressive driving habits, and never left me stranded. It handled about as good as a long bed extended cab truck could.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2015

2006 Ford F150 LXT 4.6 from North America

Love "Big Red"!

Cloth seats have held up well, but "spot" easily, even with water. They do clean up easily however, & I "Scotch Guard" regularly.

The plastic trim between the hood & windshield has deteriorated, but it's in sunlight 8-10 hours daily.

General Comments:

My F-150 was bought new as a "company vehicle", Red STX, 1 of 250 Limited Edition with Chrome package (for MS & LA), & is a SuperCab.

It has 20" Alcoa Forged Aluminum rims, power windows front & rear, full power accessories, factory AM/FM 6CD & MP3 radio with 6 speakers, hard bed cover, towing package, air lift on bed, & rubber floors.

This been an awesome truck. It did eat batteries early on, but so did my 05 Mustang. Finally after 5 MotorCraft batteries, we got a 6th & just had to replace it in 2012.

About 20 MPG on the highway without load, & tows an 8500# tractor or a 1954 Dodge Power Wagon on a 1700# 20 foot trailer without issues, & only needs OD on mountainous terrain.

Bought the truck from the company in 2009, but it had been exclusively "my truck" since new. Racked up high mileage early on, but not after purchase, as we have 4 other vehicles. Oil changes every 3000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic on it, Mustang, & Camaro.

Other than recalls/TSBs, and the battery issue, the truck has been problem free. Fantastic local dealership has sold & serviced 8 company & 3 personal vehicles for me, & all hassle free. Can't say it enough, I love my truck!!!

Review Date: 24th June, 2013

2006 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4 Triton V8 from North America

Solid, reliable truck with very few issues since I purchased over the past 7 years

Recall replaced component related to air bag at 50,0000 miles.

Replaced driver-side window controller at 60,000 miles.

Replaced driver-side front hub assembly at 70,000 miles.

Spark plugs broke off during regular maintenance at 75,000 miles. Took me 2 weekends to get them out and get the cylinders cleaned (Ford really should have included the plug defect, as it has cost some consumers thousands of dollars!!).

Replaced 1 fuel injector at 102,000 miles.

Replaced all ignition coils at 102,000 miles (only 1 had failed).

General Comments:

My truck has held up nicely over the years - both exterior and interior. I'm amazed how the interior still looks as nice as it does, and the leather seats are rock solid - no rips or tears in 7+ years!

Not the strongest truck on the road, and considering newer models, it gets pretty crummy gas mileage (12-13 in town, 15 highway, 8-11 towing).

Brake dust collecting on rims gets annoying and tends to burn through brakes and rotors faster than other vehicles I've owned.

5 1/2' bed size can get annoying!!

I've towed campers and boats that are 6,000-7,000 lbs without issues, but it definitely struggles on hills. I added Ride-Rite suspension and a K&N intake; both helped tremendously.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2012