2008 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

A truly wonderful and capable truck

No issues. No dash lights, no dealer service required so far.

General Comments:

Our F150 Lariat 4x4 (5.5' box) is a finely engineered vehicle that does not disappoint in any way. So far it has proven itself well-constructed and tight with NO squeaks or rattles at any time, over any road. So far there have been no issues to complain about - not even the smallest problem.

Average fuel mileage over the life of the truck so far is 16.3 mpg (US). Highway trips are returning 18+ mpg (US) or about 22mpg (Imperial). Trips are all western Canada and USA = mountains. I drive with a mind to fuel economy, but certainly keep up with any traffic.

Fortunately I do not have to use this vehicle for commuting in town (Jeep Wrangler for that) as it is quite large for Vancouver area streets and parking.

We bought this truck for year-round trips, both on and off road, and for this purpose we have picked a winner. The durability, visibility, comfort, quiet and load capability is outstanding, and I simply feel great driving this rig.

I've driven about 1.4 million km on 12 company vehicles and 21 of my own, plus 80 rentals since 1976. Honestly I've driven some cars that have to rate as poor.

This 2008 Ford F150 ranks number one on my list for its many positive attributes.

Review Date: 6th July, 2011

2008 Ford F150 STX V6 from North America

Summary:

Poor engineering, otherwise OK

This was a very good vehicle except for the following: When taking off from a start, the engine frequently died unless I really revved it up, which overheated the clutch, and that caused the clutch to start shuddering. Ford eliminated the vacuum advance years ago, and that's what their trucks need to reasonably take off from a start without having to restart the engine, which can be embarrassing and dangerous. No one wants to rev up an engine when taking off, because it will destroy the clutch. Ford just can't get it right... Vacuum advance, that's what it needs! I was disgusted with it after only 10,000 miles, and traded it off for a Dodge, which I'm happy with.

General Comments:

Never purchase a truck from Ford with a manual transmission, always insist on an automatic unless you want to put up with it dying at inappropriate times, and having to replace the clutch frequently. Go with Dodge instead.

Review Date: 25th December, 2010

26th Dec 2010, 04:44

Learn to drive a stick and you wouldn't have this problem. Those V6 manual trans Fords have been around a long time, and haven't been a problem. The biggest issue with them is the slave cylinder, which is located in the clutch housing.

2008 Ford F150 STX 4.6 from North America

Summary:

Ford has a LONG way to go on this truck

Driving the truck shortly after I bought it (2300 miles), it felt really sluggish, as if the transmission was slipping. Later that day, I was driving down the road and the dash lights start flashing, the chimes start going off, and I look down to see what is happening, and there is a message saying Trans Fault. I am not far from the dealer, so I take it to them and they shut the truck off and start it back up, and all of the problems went away. I had shut it off several times, and the slipping never went away, so I'm not sure that is all they did, although they say that is all they did.

A couple weeks later, I notice that the A/C will only blow out through the heater. This went on for 4 days, and I again took it to the dealer. They say that it worked fine, and since then it has.

When asking why this stuff is happening to a brand new truck, they answered that sometimes things like that just happen. They never happened on any other vehicle I've owned, and I've owned many; why this one?

The windshield cracked due to a structural defect. Ford won't fix this issue.

The stereo sometimes has a mind of its own.

Review Date: 1st January, 2010

5th May 2010, 09:06

Sounds like your truck has been in a serious accident, hence why the former owner sold / traded it with only 2300 miles. I'd be doing a history check on that vehicle. Windshield cracked due to structural problems? Sounds more like body repairs done incorrectly. The F150 has a five star front, rear, side AND rollover rating, they're definitely structurally solid.

My 2008 F150 has been the most reliable vehicle of any kind that I have ever driven.

29th Oct 2012, 16:54

LOL. My 2008 was a total piece of crap!!! Typical Ford from the issues I have had!