1989 Ford F250 LARIET 460 gas from North America

Summary:

This truck will pull virtually any trailer you can hook behind it

Both power window motors failed.

Repeated problems with the idle air control.

Hard steering to the right.

Rear ABS hydraulic valve failed.

Power steering pump oil leaks.

General Comments:

This is a very good work or farm truck.

The gas mileage is 9 to 10.5 at best.

For a 460 engine, this truck is very slow.

The replacment cost of the catalytic converter is over $400.00.

Review Date: 24th January, 2004

20th Aug 2004, 18:56

On the F250 and 350, especially with the 460, Ford put really small exhaust on them. I don't know why. But I've talked to several people who say a nice big aftermarket exhaust, "Flowmaster", really makes a huge difference in mileage and power. Try headers, new cats and the rest and you'll be happy.

10th Oct 2004, 10:49

All around I think the truck is a hard worker and trust worthy. the power locks on the driver side become weak after a while and sometimes fail. I agree that the truck is slow even though I have the 5.8 351 engine. the one true fact is it has a lot of low end torque and will pull everything I have thrown at it.

11th Mar 2006, 20:46

I think this is a great truck. I have the 5.0 and it's a smooth running engine. Its not the XLT, but its just as nice.

25th Nov 2006, 00:07

You can get a great performance Catalytic converter for $138 and free shipping. I found it at Auto Parts warehouse online. $400? No way.

22nd Jun 2010, 21:16

About the 460 being too slow, it's noticeably the same going from a 300 straight 6 all the way to a 460. It's all about how it's geared. Ford don't make their trucks for speed, they make them for hard work! Also, Ford will never do you wrong with the torque. If you're more for passing people on the highway, Chevy/GMC has that advantage.

I am a proud owner of a 1980 Ford F-150 Custom 4x4, Straight 6, 4 speed manual. It's more reliable than a Honda in my opinion.

1989 Ford F250 HD LT 46- from North America

Summary:

Powerful, thirsty, reliable

IAC motor (Idle Air Control) - common problem.

Window motor gear - in both windows.

Lower radiator hose.

Neutral safety switch.

Switch for windows up/down works erratically.

AC didn't work when I got it.

General Comments:

A few minor repairs, overall it has been a great truck. 460 engine is very powerful and very thirsty. The gas mileage is abysmal, about 8 in city and up to 11.5 on highway, at best.

Easy to work on. I did a complete tune up.

Ride quality is good.

Comfortable.

Love the tach.

Doesn't like to go faster than 60 or 65. RPMs get to 3,000 and it MPG drops even lower than 10.

Full size bed. Huge towing capacity. (10,000 lbs) It is a "HD" version, which is like base F350.

I really wish it had an overdrive tranny instead of C6 but C6 is bulletproof.

Review Date: 7th September, 2003