1984 Ford Fairlane ZL 4.1L EFI from Australia and New Zealand
What a great car! A credit to the people who designed and built it
- Alternator required replacement at approximately 380,000.
- Mountings for control panel (right side of dash, lights etc..) broke off at mountings, easy fix with some glue.
- Oil pressure gauge showed oil pressure as low when at operating temperature.
- Bonnet opening handle snapped off; must be a common problem because it was hard to find a replacement at the wreckers.
- Central locking went at approximately 330,000.
For a 30 year old car, it was quite surprising how well this car stood the test of time.
- Seating position was very comfortable, all switches within easy reach.
- Good visibility when driving.
- The 4.1L EFI was a great engine, easy to service with enough power for daily driving, very reliable and easy to maintain.
- I towed tandem trailers carrying other cars with no great difficulty.
- Long wheel base was fantastic for back seat passengers.
- Power seating was finger light, maybe a little too light for some people.
- Parking can be an issue with a car this long.
- The car ran well on LPG.
- Digital dash is very cool, very 1980s.
I used this car as a daily driver between 2009-12, traveling around 350km a week to and from work.
- I only ever required the car to be towed once (alternator).
- Around town driving I get 250-300km to a 75L tank of LPG and 400-450 for highway.
I have owned many different types of cars over the years, and this car would have to be the most dependable car I have ever owned.
It's sad to see so many Fairlanes in wreckers waiting to get crushed.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 24th April, 2016