1984 Ford Fairlane Ghia XF 4.1L Alloy Head II St 6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Built to last

Engine started ticking one day and shaking for about three weeks. Performance dropped considerably during that time, but oddly enough, the problem fixed itself before I had a day free to take it to a mechanic.

The speedo on the digital dashboard stops working at times marking 0 constantly, can usually be fixed by turning the headlights on and off till it works again. When driving on cruise control at say 100km/h, and this happens, the car accelerates violently thinking it's traveling at 0km/h.

Trip computer constantly resets itself.

Driver side electric window motor stopped working.

General Comments:

This is my first car, and one I intended to keep while sharpening my driving skills, while I saved up money for somthing better. Bought at only $500 running LPG, I must admit this car has grown on me, and even though I have the money to purchase somthing better, I'm waiting for the car to have something seriously wrong before I do.

After purchase, and taking it to a mechanic only once so far to get its Road Worth Certificate, this car hasn't given me any reason to do so again.

The paint is beginning to peel on the roof, and there are signs of rust beginning to take place. Inside the car is very roomy, especially the backseat. Great for holiday trips with a car full of friends. There are four cigarette lighters inside (One on each door), while I don't smoke I found that amusing. Definitely not a help to anyone attempting to quit smoking.

The dashboard and all its indicators are digital. This car I feel was very special for its time, having features I had certainly never seen on other cars of its time. A great first car for anyone; as long as you treat it right and don't drive her too hard, she won't let you down.

On LPG it usually goes around 400km+ on a full tank.

I really hope my next car is as good in its lifespan.

Review Date: 27th May, 2007

18th Jul 2007, 18:36

I like ZL Fairlanes. I have had one for 200000 trouble free k's. In total it's done 400000 on its original motor.

1984 Ford Fairlane ZK 4.1 Electronic Fuel Injection from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A reliable cruiser

Air conditioner was punctured due to a manufacturing fault in the hood latch. The hood does not close properly because of this, so any attempt to straighten the latch may result in damage to the air conditioning. Apparently, this happens to Falcon XD's and it's bigger brothers.

Limited slip differential had to be rebuilt at one stage.

The power steering unit leaks fluid slowly over time, and you must top it back up every 2 months. This happened because of holding the steering wheel at maximum lock for too long.

The key lock has refused to let go of the ignition key. Key lock had to be replaced.

General Comments:

Yes, it's done almost 400,000km, but it still drives. Also consider this: it does not blow smoke and it does not drip oil, even when being almost 20 years old.

The car is still quick and can still get to high speeds.

The only reason this car is in good condition is that it has been looked after. No 'just up the road' trips for this car, so it is always 'warmed-up' and ready for aggressive driving.

Review Date: 27th July, 2003

1984 Ford Fairlane 4.1 EFI petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Find a cheap one, and run it for as long as you can without spending money on it. A bargain

Nothing! I bought it for $800 and it hasn't given me any trouble. Nothing at all. Keep the fluids topped up, keep pouring petrol down it's throat (lots of petrol!), and it just keeps on going! I love it!!

Actually, the only problem I had was that the drivers seat lost a bolt and the runner sheared through. I bought a replacement seat which I installed myself for $60. 4 bolts to undo and do up again, et voila! That's the kind of maintenance I like.

General Comments:

Drinks petrol like it's going out of fashion, but with 225 section tyres, grips and handles great.

Totally comfortable, and has proved it's worth on more than a few long interstate trips.

Pretty fast up to about 80kmh, but then the 3-speed auto 'box just decides it's going to cruise after that. I've seen well-above legal speeds out of it.

Masses and masses of room - it's transported three people and three bicycles without using a roof rack. Enormous boot and interior.

Review Date: 9th May, 2001

9th Nov 2009, 03:10

Find a good one, and they will last you a life time. The one that I drive again is the 1984 ZK. Great engine, roomy, and in general just has great character. Cheap to maintain, and if you have it on LPG (like I do) it's fairly cheap to run.