1996 Ford Fairmont EF II 4.0 Litre Intech OHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A Sexy Beast

Melted Speaker Covers.

Broken Fuel Meter

Stereo Volume Knob Broken.

Right Tail Lamp Blown.

General Comments:

This car is absolutely fantastic. It beats the ruddy Holden Berlina, that's for sure. It glides graciously at every turn, as if it is trying to get a second glance from the onlookers. We've had the car for nearly six years and there haven't been any serious problems with the car.

The flowing design of the car certainly looks better than the new AU. The Pioneer sound system is "music" to my ears.

The headlights show a look of brute-strength while it holds it look of sheer grace. The engine is a pleasure to hear when you are driving down a bright country road, knowing that no one is around you, and then you hit the gas like there's no tomorrow.

I am sure that other proud owners of this powerful, yet stylish car feel the same way.

This car stimulates the mind and dims the senses- it is almost as if you are floating.

I love my Fairmont.

Review Date: 16th September, 2003

1996 Ford Fairmont EF 4.0 OHC petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

At today's prices, it's a steal!!

Auto transmission oil cooler blew at 135000km.

General Comments:

This car is a pleasure to drive, I would however recommend the V8 for that little bit more, the in-line 6 does not have the required grunt to push this car quickly off the mark. Great car for all purposes!!!

Review Date: 20th March, 2001

2nd May 2001, 01:10

My 96 EF Fairmont blew its tranny oil cooler at 134000kms. Evidenced by transmission oil in the coolant.

8th Feb 2002, 06:01

Hi, I have a 96 EF II Fairmont Ghia. I've noticed that if you pull the rear seat belts out too far, sometimes they won't retract and that the control arm bushes go at about 160000kms. Other than that, the 4ltr in-line eats 3.8 V6's for supper.

1st Mar 2009, 07:19

That's ridiculous.

The Ford 8's are shocking.

I also own a 96 Series 2 Fairmont. The car is around 6kw less than a Ford standard 8, and the same goes between the Tickford 6's and 8's.

The car is hindered by a safety mechanism integrated within the automatic transmission... which stops you putting enormous amounts of pressure on the 1st gear. That's why as owners of this car will know.. that when you slam your foot from standstill... it doesn't ride 1st gear for long, but then LUNGES into 2nd and picks up an amazing pace.

15th Aug 2009, 01:12

I'm a Ford chicky and own a Dark Green Sep 96 EfII V8 5.0L Fairmont WAGON, & love it inside & out!

I've done a heap of kms now, 350,000 in fact, but it sounds beautiful, and I always get comments about its great noise! Don't need the radio when it sounds like that LOL.

It's no quarter mile, but with a twin 120L gas tank and 35L petrol got me from Melbourne all the way to Merimbula and BACK! - No BS!!!

Still looks & sounds beasty, and the inside is comfy, and has everything you need.

Heard only 400 Fairmont wagon V8s were made, so would love to know how many are still out there!

6th Apr 2011, 04:08

I had the Ghia version and it was nice and comfortable, but the auto gearbox would for some reason "shudder" in the morning when you first drove the car. After that, it was fine for the rest of the day. Other than the gearbox problem, it was a very reliable, good car.