1989 Ford Festiva Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1990
Engine and transmission 1.9L Manual
Previous carFord Bronco II

Summary:

It looks funny, but is a great car

I have had to replace the fuel pump, gas tank, and control arms.

General Comments:

It is a great car. Good on gas and reliable.

My father in law gave me the car 7 years ago because he hit a deer and the ac stopped working. Since then I have done a little maintenance and drove the heck out of it and it seems to be a great reliable car. It is rusting out, and due to the shape that it is I won't be able to keep it much longer, but it still runs great. I have nothing, but good things to say about this car.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2006

23rd Feb 2006, 18:59

When this one dies, save the engine and tranny, then look for a Festiva body needing a drive train. Festiva rolling chassis usually go for real cheap, and sometimes you can get 'em free. Just check out www.fordfestiva.com and see if anyone is getting rid of a Festiva body.

27th Jun 2006, 01:05

I purchased my Festiva (1989) in 1993 (73000 km), and now I am considering buying a Protege 5. However, after reading the comments by these Festiva owners, probably, I can drive my Festiva (now 142000 km) a few more years, and I will.

1989 Ford Festiva LX from North America

Year of manufacture1989

Summary:

Great on gas, Speedy and cute

I have only had this vehicle for 2 months, and with all of the mileage, I have only had to replace front and back brakes, all four tires, and an oil change. So far, nothing major has gone wrong.

General Comments:

This car is great on gas. My father and I paid $500 for it. At first, I did not want the car, because it is small, and I like large cars. But after driving it, I love it. All of my friends make fun of me, but I make fun of how much money they spend on gas. This car has not given me any major problems, and it has passed all safety and emissions inspections that are mandatory for me to get state license plates. I love this car. It is very reliable.

Review Date: 4th August, 2005

1989 Ford Festiva L 1.3L straight 4 from North America

Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 1.3L straight 4 Manual

Summary:

A great little car for anyone

Headlight Lens and grille had to be replaced because of an accident with a deer.

Clutch needed to be replaced at 159,547.

General Comments:

The car was always there when we needed it, even in the dead of winter.

The seats are pretty comfortable even after 15 years of use.

Electrics on it are really simple and easy to work on.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2004

1989 Ford Festiva LX 1.3 2v from North America

Year of manufacture1988
First year of ownership1992
Engine and transmission 1.3 2v Manual
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Most recent distance152000 miles
Previous carOpel Kadett

Summary:

A versatile, tough little car

The head gasket just blew... operator error.

The interior plastic does not hold up well in warm climates.

The clear coat is prone to falling off the base coat of paint after too much sun.

The original exhaust was the only factory piece that I was not satisfied with its lifespan... gone by 100k miles.

The original rear brakes made it 40k miles and quit. Aftermarket shoes made it 112k. (So far)

The alternator died at 140k.

The CV axles threw their boots by 100k, never clacked.

The drivers door window regulator broke in 2000/130k miles.

General Comments:

Fuel economy has been exceptional. It averages 38 miles per gallon overall with extremes of 28 and 50.

After 152,000 miles, and judicious application of protectant, the vinyl dash panels look like they did the day I bought the car.

The handling has responded well to aftermarket dampers and a set of wheels donated by a Mazda 626 with 185/60 HR 14 rubber. It corners tenaciously at full throttle.

The steering is light and accurate enough to go around a fire ant.

The 1.3 engine is barely adequate with more than one occupant. It needs at least a 1.6 with the carburettor.

Styling is a strong suit-it lacks pretension and blesses the car with a cavern in its 11'8" length.

The seats have held up admirably. The cigarette burn that came with the car in 1992 has neither expanded nor frayed. They are also paragons of comfort compared to the chairs in more expensive cars.

The air conditioner was cold enough to hang meat.

It took a wallop from a Dodge Van in the tail, and the hatch still opens and closes, albeit with some difficulty.

Braking power is, at best, mediocre.

This has been a disposable car that has proven its worth over the last dozen years. It will be repaired.

Review Date: 10th November, 2004

10th Apr 2014, 00:28

This Festiva is STILL running strong with over 200k AND the original clutch. Lord, it ain't too pretty any more, but it has outlived a whole bunch of newer and better equipped cars.