1989 Ford Festiva L from North America

Summary:

Pass this car up

Body has 223K on it.

Engine has 40K.

Break lines rotted through.

Gas lines and tank rotted through.

Under body of this car is shot.

Exhaust is shot muffler flakes huge pieces of metal.

Slow acceleration.

Heater core is shot.

Car runs hot and Idles high.

Scrapers do not even want it, too light and to much of a pain to drop gas tank as I have found out through personal experience.

General Comments:

Good on gas but rot away fast.

Sad to see it die after 2 monthes of ownership 600 down the drain.

Sits in driveway jacked up.

Old engine died with 195K which is decent, but the cars rot out terrible and are not worth a dime to any one.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2008

10th Nov 2011, 18:36

I live in an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads in winter, and know the problem of which you speak. My LX started life as a southern car, and therefore doesn't have the rust issues you experienced. Would like to add that 20 some year old Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, or what have you all have rust issues here. People are amazed at the condition of my little '89 when told how old it is. Think the problem with yours is the environment and not the vehicle. True, I paste wax it once a year, including under the rockers and flush the wheel wells out every so often when the temp gets above freezing in the winter, but I've had her for four winters now, and she shows no sign of rot. Just something you have to do if you want it to live, and no less important than changing the oil.

1989 Ford Festiva L 1.9L from North America

Summary:

It looks funny, but is a great car

I have had to replace the fuel pump, gas tank, and control arms.

General Comments:

It is a great car. Good on gas and reliable.

My father in law gave me the car 7 years ago because he hit a deer and the ac stopped working. Since then I have done a little maintenance and drove the heck out of it and it seems to be a great reliable car. It is rusting out, and due to the shape that it is I won't be able to keep it much longer, but it still runs great. I have nothing, but good things to say about this car.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2006

23rd Feb 2006, 18:59

When this one dies, save the engine and tranny, then look for a Festiva body needing a drive train. Festiva rolling chassis usually go for real cheap, and sometimes you can get 'em free. Just check out www.fordfestiva.com and see if anyone is getting rid of a Festiva body.

27th Jun 2006, 01:05

I purchased my Festiva (1989) in 1993 (73000 km), and now I am considering buying a Protege 5. However, after reading the comments by these Festiva owners, probably, I can drive my Festiva (now 142000 km) a few more years, and I will.

1989 Ford Festiva LX from North America

Summary:

Great on gas, Speedy and cute

I have only had this vehicle for 2 months, and with all of the mileage, I have only had to replace front and back brakes, all four tires, and an oil change. So far, nothing major has gone wrong.

General Comments:

This car is great on gas. My father and I paid $500 for it. At first, I did not want the car, because it is small, and I like large cars. But after driving it, I love it. All of my friends make fun of me, but I make fun of how much money they spend on gas. This car has not given me any major problems, and it has passed all safety and emissions inspections that are mandatory for me to get state license plates. I love this car. It is very reliable.

Review Date: 4th August, 2005