2014 Ford Fusion S 2.5 from North America

Don't get a Ford!

General Comments:

I have brought my brand new vehicle in at least seven times (probably more) in roughly two years. That is absolutely unacceptable for a new car. I have outlined the major issues below that I've brought my vehicle into the dealership for. I can't trust this car to be reliable in the future, would you? At this point, I am fed up and on the verge of trading this car in and I will never recommend Ford to anyone. The regional area managers keep referring me back to their dealerships and they can't seem to correct the numerous issues with their product. All I've gotten from Ford is a Premium Care Extended Service Plan for 5 years 75k for all of this... thanks for nothing! There's obviously issues with Ford and their designs/quality. The 635f transmission on this especially, look it up, it shouldn't even be out there, but shows how much they care. Here's the list of my troubles with this:

On February 5, 2015 - My vehicle was leaking transmission fluid at 6,412 miles. The front axle shaft assembly needed to be replaced.

February 21, 2015 - Transmission was making a grinding noise, shifts rough randomly usually 1st to 2nd, flares shifting when cold, slams into gear from park to reverse randomly (said they couldn't reproduce the problem).

May 16, 2015 - Weather stripping on the rear door was loose and the P/S wheel well cover was loose due to missing pins.

June 16, 2015 - Light sensor was inoperable at 9,255 miles (had them check the transmission for the same above... same answer).

July 11, 2015 - Brought the vehicle in for power steering recall. Mileage display faded in areas when hot inside (had them check the transmission for the same above... same answer. Now also can't replicate the mileage display problem...).

Feb 20th - Rear headliner hanging down. The audio speaker on the passenger side makes a vibrating noise during certain bass frequencies. The dealership disconnected it and then plugged it back in and they were not able to correct the issue. Reset ACM for trans helped for about one week...

May 7th - Passenger side speaker now sounding consistently terrible when wet and cold. Speaker was replaced (had them check the transmission for the same above... same answer. Now also can't replicate mileage display problem...)

I may have forgotten some of the pointless visits, but as you can see 7 here that are legit things that had to be fixed and I'm at around 16,000 miles, and I still have issues lingering, especially this jerky transmission they say is fine. Says it all...

Review Date: 11th May, 2016

12th May 2016, 12:53

Looks like the newly designed 2013 Ford Fusion model had some problems in 2013 and 2014. And according to carcomplaints.com, problems went down in 2015 and 2016. So if you are having problems with your 2014, you might want to find out what improvements did Ford do to the 2015/2016 models. No car makers want problems with their vehicles, but sometimes it take a while to get the bugs out of new models.

15th May 2016, 03:12

Thank you for the detailed review.

I was worried that Ford was repeating history (Contour/Mystique), where you have a Volkswagen-Esque vehicle - excellent to drive, but no fun to maintain/fix per your review... indeed ;)

26th May 2016, 18:52

I noticed transmission flairs if it is overfilled. Ensure the tranny fluid is not overfilled. I had the same issue; after using an extractor pump to remove excess fluid, the issue disappeared.

2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 turbo from North America

A great overall package in a car

Nothing has gone wrong.

This is a 14 day rental that I put 2,500 miles on.

My last rental car was a 2012 Fusion SEL 3.0 Auto.

General Comments:

2,500 mile MPG average was 29.2 MPG, with 95% being highway miles at 75-80mph.

The previous 2012 Fusion that I drove on the same trip got 31.5 MPG with the 3.0 V-6 auto.

The key pad code cards were not in the unopened owners booklet, so you get the code by placing one key in the ignition and turn to run and off, then pull out, stick the second key in and turn to run, and your code will display on the dash.

The automatic transmission was smooth 98% of the time, but had an occasionally hard shift.

The automatic transmission is very intuitive, as it will hold gears while coasting down hills, like at Pikes Peak, if you don't gas the car.

I have mixed feelings about the electronic motorized E-brake, and wonder how well it will hold up to mud and rust.

The little 2.0L 4-cyl turbo is very adequate in power and would equal the old 3.0 V-6 in all but sound. The 4 cylinder sounds louder and revs faster; the old 3.0 had a much meaner growl and sounded more mature.

The tiny turbo does start to spin after like 3 seconds, and the power is amazing and you will hit 100mph very rapidly if you don't let off.

Don't be fooled by a tiny 2.0 and an automatic. This car will likely outrun any competition in the class.

Fit and finish was perfect. I got the car with 1,500 miles.

Road noise was very low.

Head lights are not as bright as a 2012 Fusion.

The doors open and close real nicely, and feel thick, heavy and safe.

The glove box is kind of small.

To unlock the car with a dead battery, you must stick the key under the door handle rear cap of the driver's door, push the key up a tiny hole on the bottom of the cap, and pry the cap back and off. I didn't have a dead battery; just couldn't find a trunk key spot or door key hole, but the driver's door does have a real spot for a key, just in case you have a dead battery and your doors were locked.

At least this car has a spare tire; others do not.

A/C blower is reasonably quiet at max speed.

The windows can go up or down with one touch.

The door lock push down sticks are missing at the top of the door panel, right by the glass; instead you have a tiny red LED that lights up red if the doors are locked. Nice.

Room is nice, but the '12 Fusion had a ton more foot room for the front seats. The '13+ has wheel well intrusion and the driver's side has a massive dead space hogging dead pedal for your left leg.

Visibility is great, but the A-pillar is kind of thick.

The trunk is just OK, but similar to other cars in the class.

Overall the Fusion is very class competitive in all categories, and even offers a class exclusive key pad entry that can be a life saver.

The leather seats are nice, but fairly firm and narrow; if I was real, real plus size, I think the space would be too tight with the fixed center arm rest.

The Fusion is nice. It feels more like a Nissan or Toyota, and drives more like a sports car.

I'd buy a new Fusion. I think the 2.0 turbo is for sure the best option.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2014