1965 Ford Galaxie 500 289c.i.d. from North America

Summary:

My '65 Galaxie does turn a lot of heads

The oil pan gaskets leak a little.

The driver's side of the front seat has started to wear badly.

The weatherstripping is old and worn.

General Comments:

The car has an AM radio built in the dash that cannot be replaced. The power and sound this little 289 puts out beats a radio any day!

Review Date: 22nd April, 2005

23rd Apr 2005, 04:59

A little 289 in a big ol two-ton Galaxie, yet you rate performance a 10/10, hmmmm...

1965 Ford Galaxie 500 390 from North America

Summary:

Everyone should have one!

Seats are worn badly.

Upper control arms had to be replaced.

Fuel sending unit had to be replaced.

Weatherstripping is beginning to deteriorate.

Distributor had to be replaced.

Timing chain and gears had to be replaced.

General Comments:

This car is truly a joy to drive. As you can plainly see from the problems I have experienced, the only repairs needed are routine maintenance required after many miles of driving and general wear and tear. My next goal is a little corrosion control and new paint for the body. I plan to keep this car for a very long time. When the doors fall off, then I may look into driving something different.

The car runs and drives like a new Cadillac. Truly, it is difficult to see where automobiles have improved enough over the past 35 years to justify the massive increase in costs off the lot. A new car with an equivalent engine and drive train would get around the same fuel economy and wear out much sooner.

Review Date: 20th August, 2002

23rd Jan 2005, 09:24

I don't necessarily agree that a new car would wear out sooner, but could not agree with you more that the price of new cars has gotten to be absolutely ridiculous. It is because people go out and finance everything, just throwing caution to the wind. We are an "I have to have it now" society. I refuse to buy a new car on account of them being horrendously over priced, as you stated. I do not want to feed/enable the insanity. Good luck with your car.

13th Sep 2007, 14:52

I live in North central Illinois. I drive a 67 with a 289 20 miles to the gallon. I have a 65 LTD I'm willing to sell needs assembled. 2 dr hardtop any one wants more info call me Ray at 815 2529700. Reman 390, perfect frame fron AZ plus many other parts etc.