Ford Gran Torino Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Year of manufacture1973
Engine and transmission 351 Windsor 4bbl V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired200000 miles
Previous carFord LTD

Summary:

Huge inside and out, strong, and INDESTRUCTIBLE

The "usual" stuff that would be wrong with a car from '73 that you bought in '94.

- Carb problems.

- Tear in rear seat when purchased.

- ALL mirrors broken when purchased.

- Rear seatbelt would lock at the slightest jerk/pull.

- Muffler lost on our rural driveway.

- Due to muffle loss, THAT SUCKER WAS LOUD AS SH.

General Comments:

My dad bought it when I was 14 for a birthday present for my mom. (He traded our LTD Station Wagon, THANK GOD) So bonus points for being a birthday gift.

No sheet metal, just unholy adimantium forged on the sun.

Due to it's weight and size and what a paramedic called it, we dubbed it the "War Wagon". So we were sitting in this giant contraption that would make the Ford Excursion crap itself, and all of the sudden some dude in a lowered, riced out Civic comes at us at about 30 when we in the middle of an intersection (our light was green, his was not) and he slammed into the rear right section of our truck area, we ended up spinning out and the the Civic dude crawls out of his new industrial-sized paper-weight, and yells that he's going to call the cops. So about 15 minutes later, the police and paramedics arrive (turns out the Civic-guy broke his left knee and shoulder). They say they have to check each of us out (just to be sure or something), and after verifying that me and my dad were fine, we over heard the paramedic say to his co-medic that " They're lucky they were in that godda**** War-Wagon or they'd gotten F***** up!", so after laughing so much that our lungs started to hurt, we from then referred to it as the "War Wagon".

Good Facts:

The huge Civic-shaped dent was easily banged out with a sledgehammer.

The trunk was big enough to store B-17 bombers during peace-time.

The engine bay doubled as a bedroom, even with the 351W in there.

The 351 Windsor in that sucker could tear the brass coloring off of a sheet of copper.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2009

26th May 2009, 11:11

I think the rodents were living in the B-17 bombers that were stored in the trunk... Hey, wait a minute this was supposed to be a Gran Torino Station Wagon... how on earth did it have a trunk?

26th May 2009, 17:24

"so we're sitting in this giant contraption that would make the Ford Excursion crap itself" - Oh my gosh, this is the best written review I've read on here as yet, and I've read most of them.

30th Jun 2009, 09:34

Damn, I need one! Have been looking around for a while now. Anyone have one they want to sell? Any idea about the mpg? How much would a steering pump replacement be?

28th Jan 2011, 14:42

Fine, entertaining review. In a similar vein, check out the movie The Big Lebowsky, where The Dude drives an old Torino, and to hilarious effect.

1974 Ford Gran Torino Wagon 400 cubic inch V8 from North America

Model year1974
Engine and transmission 400 cubic inch V8 Automatic
Previous carMercury Grand Marquis

Summary:

Indestructible old tanks

Fuel system rebuilt, new tires, needed a good scrub down cuz it sat in a field for 13 years.

General Comments:

Good car, mint 70's green paint, 400 V8, rear 9 passenger seat.

Review Date: 12th January, 2009

1974 Ford Gran Torino Sport 351 c from North America

First year of ownership1984
Most recent year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 351 c Automatic

Summary:

Awsome

AT transmission rebuild at 98000.

Exhaust at 102342.

Water pump at 107898.

General Comments:

Best Ford ever built. If I could find another like it, I would never drive another!!

Review Date: 21st July, 2008

8th May 2010, 09:48

The last Gran Torino Sport was built in 1973. I should know, since I've owned one since 1976. You may have a Gran Torino, but it's not a "Sport".

1974 Ford Gran Torino 2-door Brougham 351 Cleveland from North America

First year of ownership1976
Most recent year of ownership1987
Engine and transmission 351 Cleveland Semi-Automatic
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

A solid, reliable dinosaur

Nothing ever went wrong with the car except for a carburetor and the usual items such as brakes and batteries.

The interior held up very well, and the paint looked good when we sold it.

No rattles or squeaks, and all the accessories always worked perfectly.

General Comments:

In reading over the old Torino reviews, I decided to add a review of our old '74. We bought it used in 1976 and drove it until 1987. It was an incredible car.

The gas mileage was AWFUL, but it rode like a dream and was built like a tank. Such cars are like dinosaurs now, but in their day they were great highway cruisers. If gas was still under a dollar a gallon, I'd try to find another one!!

Review Date: 7th July, 2008

2nd Jan 2009, 22:25

I LOVED my 1974 Green Gran Torino too! I lost mine in an accident, but because it was a dinosaur it saved my life. I would love to have another one. I have a lot of good memories of that car.

20th Nov 2009, 04:02

I too once learned how to drive in a Gran Torino. I will never forget those nice big powerful take-offs on those large dinosaurs. Those old cars were built like Sherman tanks. Ford deserve good credit for keeping the American muscle car alive today with the Mustangs that are still rear wheel drive. My only wish would be if Ford put the same inside door protection on new cars today that they had back on the 1970's Gran Torino. I love muscle cars so I decided to one day co-direct a movie about time travel and bring back the interest to help preserve all muscle cars. If there is one thing foreign auto makers can compete against it's the good old all American muscle cars, made in the USA.

Future Director/Writer