1974 Ford Gran Torino Wagon 400 cubic inch V8 from North America

Indestructible old tanks

Fuel system rebuilt, new tires, needed a good scrub down cuz it sat in a field for 13 years.

General Comments:

Good car, mint 70's green paint, 400 V8, rear 9 passenger seat.

Review Date: 12th January, 2009

1974 Ford Gran Torino Sport 351 c from North America

AT transmission rebuild at 98000.

Exhaust at 102342.

Water pump at 107898.

General Comments:

Best Ford ever built. If I could find another like it, I would never drive another!!

Review Date: 21st July, 2008

8th May 2010, 09:48

The last Gran Torino Sport was built in 1973. I should know, since I've owned one since 1976. You may have a Gran Torino, but it's not a "Sport".

1974 Ford Gran Torino 2-door Brougham 351 Cleveland from North America

A solid, reliable dinosaur

Nothing ever went wrong with the car except for a carburetor and the usual items such as brakes and batteries.

The interior held up very well, and the paint looked good when we sold it.

No rattles or squeaks, and all the accessories always worked perfectly.

General Comments:

In reading over the old Torino reviews, I decided to add a review of our old '74. We bought it used in 1976 and drove it until 1987. It was an incredible car.

The gas mileage was AWFUL, but it rode like a dream and was built like a tank. Such cars are like dinosaurs now, but in their day they were great highway cruisers. If gas was still under a dollar a gallon, I'd try to find another one!!

Review Date: 7th July, 2008

2nd Jan 2009, 22:25

I LOVED my 1974 Green Gran Torino too! I lost mine in an accident, but because it was a dinosaur it saved my life. I would love to have another one. I have a lot of good memories of that car.

20th Nov 2009, 04:02

I too once learned how to drive in a Gran Torino. I will never forget those nice big powerful take-offs on those large dinosaurs. Those old cars were built like Sherman tanks. Ford deserve good credit for keeping the American muscle car alive today with the Mustangs that are still rear wheel drive. My only wish would be if Ford put the same inside door protection on new cars today that they had back on the 1970's Gran Torino. I love muscle cars so I decided to one day co-direct a movie about time travel and bring back the interest to help preserve all muscle cars. If there is one thing foreign auto makers can compete against it's the good old all American muscle cars, made in the USA.

Future Director/Writer

Ralph Martigani, Jr.

1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport Fastback 429 Big Block from North America

A classic collector muscle car, in the making.

This car needs a pro paint job. It was flat white and the rust was covered with a load of bondo. Could use a new carburetor, but it still runs great.

General Comments:

In high school I sanded it all down and replaced most of the rust on the body and around the wheel wells.

I painted it metallic gun metal grey. The paint doesn't look too bad, but I am getting it done professionally pretty soon.

I paid 2500 for the car and it came with some slick deep dish craigers in perfect condition.

I want to do this car up right, make it a collector. The engine is huge and has serious potential. The body shape for the 73' sport fastback is pretty sick.

Give me some feedback, let me know what you think of the car. Give me some ideas for the engine. What do you think is the proper colour to paint this car?

Review Date: 27th December, 2007

3rd Jan 2008, 16:43

Yah that blue might be a good choice if you want to stick with an original color for the car, the only other original color for that year that I know of is a pale yellow, I dunno what else there is?

1972 Ford Gran Torino 302 2 bbl from North America

It was a decent car which got me where I needed to go, although I needed to fill up often

Transmission slippage was the main problem with this car (transmission was the standard C4 automatic.)

Fuel economy was terrible for a low-performance V8: consistently 11.4 mpg, mainly highway driving! I attribute this possibly to transmission slippage just mentioned.

The car had a full vinyl roof and small rust spots were beginning to show in two areas.

The air conditioning didn't handle extended use on a long trip and eventually blew hot. But, allowed to "rest" for a while, it began to work just fine.

It might be said that rear visibility was very poor in the Grand Torino. Looking through the rear windshield, you just had to guess where the trunk was when you were backing up.

General Comments:

Performance was less-than-spectacular with the factory-rated 141 horsepower 302 V8, but this could have been due to the weak/ailing transmission.

Review Date: 12th July, 2007

26th Nov 2012, 18:02

If you change the expansion valve, you won't have problems with the A/C blowing hot as long as the car is charged properly.