1971 Ford LTD 351 W from North America

Summary:

Overall the car is safe, strong, smooth -- my land yacht

Brakes: replaced the whole system. I should have had it checked out when I got it.

Transmission wouldn't lock into park or drive well. Surprisingly a simple fix.

I took the car through a car wash and the antenna snapped off. Also a little trim. :(

Windshield wipers are gone too.

General Comments:

I've owned a couple of classics in the past - and this is the only one I've used as a daily driver. It's that dependable.

It starts every time. The engine - fast. Step on the gas in the rain -- tires squeal and it lurches forward.

On the expressway it rides super smooth. I feel like I'm driving a couch sometimes.

The size is intimidating and I enjoy it so much. I don't even have to use my blinker - other cars just move out of the way.

Review Date: 11th May, 2009

12th May 2009, 12:40

Back in high school in the 80s a friend of mine had a '73 LTD with the 351. It would have been roughly the same as yous, perhaps slightly bigger and boxier.. but it was such a fantastic car! Absolutely reliable with something around 120K on the clock, and solid as a rock.

I remember one time he lost control of it and drove directly into the cut-out - the cliff made in the side of the hill where the highway had been cut through. Damage? One of the rubber things on the bumper came off.

1971 Ford LTD 2 dr. Brougham 351 winsor from North America

Summary:

"Old Reliable"

Purchased new; mostly routine service; a valve job at 65,000 miles, two water pumps over the years, a carburetor rebuild, power brake booster @ 175,000, replaced brake lines @ 175,000. Then rust started to take its toll. After a number of winters, I started patching up holes, and the wiper and light switches were replaced. As the car aged, parts wore out (as to be expected). The car was like a member of the family.

General Comments:

I miss cars of this era; they were comfortable, safe, and easy to work on. However, they do wear out (if you drive them) and unless you have the space, money, and parts, you have to move on.

Review Date: 19th March, 2008

19th Mar 2008, 21:50

There is a '71 LTD Sedan for sale in Moncton, N.B. Canada. The owner is asking $5000, which seems like a fair price because the car is in great shape!

19th Mar 2008, 22:34

Thank you for this great review of a piece of American history. 26 years out of your Ford bests our record of 17 years and 325,000 miles out of a 6-cylinder Ford Granada.

I see so many comments about how awful American cars were in the 60's and 70's. You certainly couldn't prove that by me.

In addition to the Ford Granada, my family still owns and drives a 1955 Pontiac that was bought used in 1956. It has had one engine rebuild and the automatic transmission has never been touched.

My nephew still has my late brother's 1977 Buick LeSabre, which has well over a quarter of a million miles on it. It has never had any engine problems.

I've never had ANY problems with old OR new American cars. They are the best in the world, and just keep getting better.

1971 Ford LTD 429cu in from North America

Summary:

Best car I have ever owned

Charging system replaced 3 times.

Engine replaced when overheated due to faulty thermostat. Cold water was put in the over heated engine causing irreparable damage.

Seats have worn badly and need to be reupholstered.

Power windows have had to have their motors replaced.

Vinyl roof finally needed replacing in 2006.

General Comments:

I love this car. It will pull anything! I still use it as my tow car.

I have changed the fuel system to propane so I can afford to drive the car in the summer; it has never been winter driven.

It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

Fun to drive, and still turns heads, even with the original paint, although I will have to repaint it soon as it is fading.

Review Date: 5th January, 2008

6th Jan 2008, 20:03

That is a very nice Ford LTD you have, is yours a 4 door or a 2 door? It must be really fun to drive with the 429 underneath the hood, also is your 429 a 4 barrel or a 2 barrel?

7th Jan 2008, 08:57

If he converted it to propane, I don't think it would have a normally aspirated carburetor at all.