1974 Ford Maverick Review

Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 302 Manual
Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Fast, reliable and fun

Alternator- hey, it's 26 years old.

Emissions stuff (now gone).

Suspension squeaks.

General Comments:

Great car, a blast to drive, I have a 351w on the way for it, should prove interesting.

Larger back tires help the car more than you would believe. 275-60-15 will fit (barely).

Review Date: 27th August, 2000

3rd Nov 2001, 01:28

Mavericks rock! I've got a 1977 2 door Maverick.

13th Mar 2003, 18:57

I have 2 mavericks a 77&74 77 has a 60 over 302 the 74 is waiting on a 347 stroker I'm going to have me some fun.

2nd Apr 2006, 18:17

My first car was a 1974 Maverick 4-door sedan with a 250 ci six and an automatic. It ran great for me until its timing chain went, and at the time, I couldn't afford to repair it. It was still a very well-made car that was great on gas.

20th Dec 2006, 15:12

I'm not a big fan of Mavericks, but I am a big fan of sleepers. It seems to me that a '74 Maverick Grabber would make a very good sleeper car that could be unleashed on unsuspecting rivals.

1st Feb 2009, 12:57

I had a 1970 Grabber that came stock with a 6cid 250 when I was 16. It was O.K., but it needed something. My first shot was to overhaul it and modify bore .60 over, 3/4 racing cam and dome pistons reinforced valve spring... Oh I almost forgot I planed the intake and put a Tri-power system with 3 2barrel carburetors manual linkage and put a stall speed in the Trans 2000rpm. As you could guess, if you have ever had a car with a 6cid, they are torque under 40mph but top out because of valve problem drove it and race it (Bremerton, WA Speedway) for about 3 years.

Got tired of the valve problem so replaced the 250 with a 351w with twin turbos (not turbo mufflers). Didn't have to modify the engine compartment, but changing spark plugs was an all day event...

My next is a fuel injected 460 bored to a 514 and c-6 auto 2000 stall speed, I have to modify the engine compartment to make it fit and trans cowling inside the maverick. Shock tower cut and shortened and reinforced frame. It is cheaper than doing a 67 fastback Mustang. Mavericks are making a come back and are easier to find than others.

Lloyd.