2005 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not bad for a Dagenham Dustbin

Nothing ever gone wrong.

General Comments:

The day I had to give up my XK8 was a sad day indeed, but I needed a car with a big boot. The XK8 was an extremely tough act to follow, and at first I didn't much like the ST220. After a few months, it started to worm its way into my good books, and now I can say that I like it very much.

For me, the practicality of this car is hugely important, there aren't many cars that you can fit 3 meter lengths of timber into. The hatch back is quite unusual on a car this size, and has allowed me to fit all kinds of things into it (building materials, sofas etc, etc). Couple this with surprisingly good speed and handling, and this car really starts to make sense.

You have to work the six speed gearbox to get the most out of the 225BHP engine; below 5,000 rpm things seem tepid. Once you're past the magic 5,000 mark though, it unleashes hell! The acceleration in 3rd gear can embarrass a lot of much sportier cars on the road.

I have driven this car very hard over the past 8000 miles, and it has never shown any sign of going wrong. Also, the economy isn't too bad if you drive light footed, around 32MPG on a run.

I don't love this car, and never will. In fact I'm putting it up for sale as soon as my need for a practical car expires; my passion lies with low slung 2 seaters. I have been forced by circumstance to own a big practical 4 seater, but I firmly believe that there is nothing else out there that can offer as much practicality without compromising performance. For that reason, I would have to say this is a very good car that has served its purpose perfectly for me.

Review Date: 4th March, 2011

2005 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 Duratec from United Arab Emirates

Summary:

Great family car, but loads of fun when you're on your own

New clutch fitted at 45000km.

New front brake pads fitted and discs skimmed at 60000km.

New rear brake pads fitted and discs skimmed at 70000km.

General Comments:

I always wanted an ST220 in the UK, but couldn't afford it, but then I moved to Dubai and found they cost nearly half the price, and bought one straight away, and with the price of petrol being so cheap, I don't mind planting my right foot down.

Review Date: 5th May, 2008

22nd Sep 2008, 13:16

If this one is Blue, then I know you're selling it =P And I'll come see it sometime this week. Great car.

2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec S 2.0 TDCI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Sporty looks with diesel power

It blew a hole in a turbo boost hose 6 days after purchase. This is due to oil in the pipework which eventually rots the rubber and makes it weak. Common on Mondeos and Transits with this engine. 10 minutes to fix.

Nothing else to report.

General Comments:

After owning a Mazda 6, the Mondeo does not feel as good to drive or as well built; the handling on the Mazda was first class.

However the Mazda was petrol and the Mondeo is diesel, so is obviously much better on fuel, but not as good as some of the other claims on here ie 34 round town. I must admit I do drive my cars hard though.

The Mondeo does look good with the 18 inch wheels and body kit. Its company owner has looked after it well and it would pass for 50000 when clean; the interior is like new.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2008

8th Jul 2008, 08:37

Just passed its first mot at 110000 with no faults, is now averaging 36-39 round town, now winter is over. This is with a plug and play chip turned up to maximum.

4th Mar 2009, 16:59

Now on 117500 miles, still drives the same as when I got it, no money spent apart from a service at 115000.

2nd Dec 2009, 16:53

Car now on 125000, still refuses to give any problems, although I've put a fanbelt and tensioner on and another turbo hose. None of these items stopped it from being used.

5th Aug 2010, 18:07

The car was sold in April 2010 with 128000 on the clock. Though the dual mass flywheel was rattling and the handbrake cables were beginning to seize, the engine was still running like new.