2009 Ford Mondeo Review

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.0 TDCi turbo diesel Automatic
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

Great load lugger with decent driver appeal

When I took delivery of the car, the Bluetooth module wasn't working. This also stopped the voice control and Aux-in socket from working too.

The passenger side seat belt adjuster was also stuffed.

Supplying dealer fixed both faults without any fuss.

The car was hit by a freak hailstorm, resulting in over 150 dents, mostly on the roof and bonnet. A local dent repair specialist took them all out, and the car is 99.9% back to what it was. Not the cars fault, obviously!

General Comments:

I'm very happy with the comfort of the car, having driven 5-6 hours plus with no back problems.

The dual zone climate control works fairly well, and can generally be left to get on with managing itself. Shame it doesn't have the extra rear vents that the top-spec cars get mind. My kids would appreciate more air flow.

Performance is good, lots of mid-range power and decent acceleration, but the old tech 6 speed autobox makes the car feel a little sluggish at times. It's not the smoothest box either; changes into second and third could be better at times.

Economy is OK, but not great. I'm averaging about 40 MPG, which is probably about 10 MPG short of what the manual version can do.

Boot space is very good (this is the estate version), but it would be more practical if the roof and boot door didn't slope in so much.

It's a shame there isn't a full size spare in the boot, nor is there space to put one in without losing 2-3 inches of boot height and the flat load floor. I know, I've tried.

Handling and driver appeal is good for a large car, but not in the same league as the Focus and Fiesta I've also driven. Part of that could be the autobox, and partly a car this heavy is never going to be that much fun. The steering is nice though; well assisted, but still with plenty of feel.

It's good to have climate, rear electric windows and proper rear passenger lighting in this mid-range car, but I do miss rain sensitive wipers and auto-lights from my other cars. A beefier stereo would be good too. I upgraded the front speakers, which has helped, but the Ford 6000CD just hasn't got the guts for it.

One little rattle spoils the otherwise very quiet cabin. This car is seriously refined at motorway speeds; clearly it was designed for it.

With a little more kit (maybe Titanium version) and slightly better fuel economy, I would not be able to seriously fault this car at all. It would be interesting to see what the newer cars are like with the Powershift gearbox instead.

Review Date: 18th September, 2012

30th Apr 2013, 04:08

Original reviewer here:

Now 10 months into my ownership and up to nearly 32k miles already.

Nothing further has gone wrong, and overall, I have to say I'm very impressed with the car. It just keeps growing on me.

The battery warning light has come on briefly a couple of times and the trip computer reset itself (separately) twice too. The alternator checks out OK, so I'm suspecting the battery is past its best, and may replace it in the coming months.

The Mondeo handles very well, rides well AND has masses of interior space. It's very hard to fault it.

Only slight disappointment really is the fuel economy, which is averaging around 37-38 MPG now. However, I've started a towing 1350kg caravan here and there, so my MPG would be higher otherwise...

BTW, this car does make a very competent tow car. I've dragged the tin shed up some 1 in 7 hills no trouble at all. Pulling off is easy and stability is great. Recommended.

Ideally it would have the self levelling rear suspension option, which mine doesn't. The back end of the car does run a little low when towing, so I'm looking into replacing the standard shocks with the self levelling kind if possible.

30th Apr 2013, 14:41

Thanks for the update. Glad to know all is well, please do keep us posted on how the car goes, or if there are any problems you encounter.

1st May 2013, 10:00

That economy is very poor. Are you sure it's the diesel model?!

7th May 2013, 10:42

Yes, but please bear in mind that it's the 6 speed torque converter auto, and I'm frequently pulling a 1326 kg caravan, which doesn't help.

On a solo run at 50-60 mph on quiet A and B roads, it can do over 50 MPG.

My brother-in-law has the same car, but with a manual gearbox, and he gets much better economy than I do. However, I find the auto box is brilliant for low speed manoeuvring of the caravan.

24th Mar 2014, 10:43

Original reviewer here again. Still got the Mondeo. It's up to 48,000 miles now, and nothing has gone wrong since the last update about 10 months ago.

It's pretty much business as usual, although I've had to replace the driver's door mirror after a coming together on a narrow country lane. This is where the massive width of the Mondeo can be an issue. Thankfully, it was easy enough to do a DIY replacement thanks to Ford selling the mirrors pre-sprayed to the correct colour.

All four tyres will be due replacement soon, but they are the same ones that the car was sold to me with nearly 30k miles ago.

I really can't fault it. As an added bonus, I'm still enjoying driving it too. I just wish that sometimes it wasn't so wide! Very stable when towing though, and the width must help with that.

Average review marks: 7.8 / 10, based on 1 review