2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very good Ford

Nothing, but have uneven tire wear at the back. Sounds like a wheel bearing is on its way out, but it's the tires I hope; will be replacing them soon.

General Comments:

Bought this Mondeo as I needed more space, which I now have plenty of.

Great to drive; I do roughly 500 miles a week, so I also need a reliable car, which so far it is, and it just eats up the miles without any issues, and I get out as fresh as I got in.

So far I cannot fault this car; will soon get the cam-belt and water pump changed, so I can hopefully drive many more trouble free miles.

Review Date: 28th November, 2018

2nd Dec 2018, 19:54

I've had many Mondeos since the 1990s; they are good cars :) Only issues are injectors may clog up and give expensive issues at higher mileage (100,000 plus), but you could say that about all modern diesels.

Only other issue as per modern diesel is the DPF, but since you do 500 miles a week, it should be cleared out and healthy and last a long time.

2010 Ford Mondeo LX from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Never again

Major repairs:

171,500 km - Power steering fail, water pump - $730.

193,000 km - Fuel pump, battery - $1470.

210,000 km - Coolant leak - $550

General Comments:

Probably my fault for trusting a dealer - purchased for $8k because it was a great deal; now I know why it was a great deal.

The car ran well until about 160,000 km, then every 2 months it was in the shop, getting serviced or some other repairs; to be fair a few times were for cosmetic repairs and cracked windscreens.

Once it got to about 190,000 km, it was the most unreliable junk heap ever and spent just as much time at the mechanics as it did at home. I had to quit my job because of its unreliability, and all the money I saved in the past 2 years has gone into it for some expense.

Owned for 2.5 years, and it went from $8k value, to me selling it to a scrap yard for $1k. Spent about $6k on repairs and maintenance in that time.

Would recommend not buying above 100,000 km and selling before 175,000 km.

Review Date: 4th July, 2017

4th Jul 2017, 21:44

Sounds like you paid a bit too much for repairs. You should consider a cheaper garage.

Also to be fair, the problems you mentioned I would say come under wear and tear at the mileage stated.

Had a few Mondeos myself, mostly 1990s and early 2000s models; generally they were reliable cars for me with no major issues.

5th Jul 2017, 06:18

For starters, $8K for a car of that age with less than 100,000 km IS a bargain. You've driven 59,000 km/year for two years, and wonder why the car - which already had 100,000 km (near on 60K miles) has needed those repairs?

23rd Oct 2017, 04:17

I find it difficult to believe that you do not understand mechanical things wear out. At 190000 km, what do you expect? It was a well used vehicle when you first bought it. If you want maintenance free transport, go and buy a bicycle.

23rd Oct 2017, 08:11

Even if he had a bicycle, he'd still have to change the brake cables, get new tyres, oil the chain, etc :D

2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

If you're looking at getting one, then go for it

When I first acquired it at 56000 miles, within 1000 miles the engine management unit failed, but as it was still within the 60k warranty, Ford changed it (3K).

General Comments:

Up to now I have done another 56000 miles in 4 years and it has been completely trouble free. I have replaced the brakes with aftermarket uprated discs and pads which last longer.

It has just gone through its 3rd MOT without any issues. Even the emissions were low. I think the service intervals are 12.5k, but I have been doing them at 10k since 100k. I have been alternating the minor and major services since then. I don't thrash it, but I do a lot of mixed mileage.

Interior is still looking good for being 6 years old now...

Review Date: 3rd May, 2016