2012 Ford Mustang Base Convertible 3.7L V6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Go have some fun, find a Mustang Convertible, and enjoy what it has to offer!

The car is performing exceptionally well. Fun to drive.

Purchased the car as a lease return with 19700 miles. Was in flawless condition from a Ford dealership, who had several examples of the color (black) that I wanted to purchase.

Test drove several 2012 models, with mileage ranging from 12,000 to 22,000. The dealer was very patient as I made the purchase decision.

They always try to sell you the additional warranty protection. I purchased this specific model that had the certified designation, with a warranty good until 2017. Buy the certified car for this benefit. Paid a 1000 premium for this on the price of the car, but felt it was worth it.

I wanted to go back to an American car, and traded in a BMW 3 series convertible. I went for the Bimmer, because at the time it was the only rear wheel drive stick shift car I could get that was fun to drive. Happy with my choice for 20 thousand dollars less. The car is a great deal, even when compared to the new Camaro and Dodge Challenger with no stock convertible available.

General Comments:

Color was listed as black, but actually is a beautiful color called Lava. The car looks sharp standing still. Great profile, especially the convertible. Lava Red Metallic; stunning color. Paint and body quality are fantastic.

Standard cloth seats have bolsters to hold you in when taking those curves. Steering wheel has a nice leather covering with radio controls. Dash pad and door panels of nice design, with a more expensive looking "padded" look, rather than the cheap looking plastic you see on the Japanese cars.

The car handles very well with standard setup (struts front and solid axle back). You can feel the solid axle with some stiffness evident at times, but this is not too disconcerting. There is a suspension upgrade available for the 6 cyl. (V-6 Performance Package - 2 grand from the factory).

The engine idles very smooth with the dual exhaust. Step on the gas, and a great sound comes out of the tail pipes. Power comes on quick and responsive, with 305 horsepower with the new dual overhead cam design. Feels like a small block from the old days, with horsepower and torque coming on at higher RPM. Has great passing capacity for highway situations. This is a great improvement over former Ford sixes. Innovative variable valve timing and 4 valves per cylinder. Great engine power with 30 MPG. I've been getting 27 MPG without really trying.

The six speed automatic transmission shifts and responds smoothly, though it shifts very early into 6th gear (early shift = better gas mileage). I drove a stick shift car prior to this purchase, and it made driving a little more fun (automatic is a concession to family life).

I liked the stainless steel exhaust system; should be long lasting.

This engine and suspension system has many upgrades available aftermarket to enhance performance and handling.

Suggestions: Purchase the factory SVT sway bars front and rear, and install. Upgrade the standard tires to a wider profile (the 2013 models are using Pirelli's).

Add the strut brace in the engine compartment, especially for convertibles (improves handling), and consider adding a cold air intake (increase torque and horsepower slightly). This would make a great car even better.

Ford has continued to evolve the Mustang, and it keeps getting better with annual upgrades. The addition of an independent rear suspension will be introduced in a future model. I hope they evolve the car rather then revolutionize it. It is an American icon that is fun to drive, fast, affordable as a convertible, and with great gas mileage. I recommend the car to anyone requiring these attributes.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2012

15th Jul 2014, 02:11

I've purchased a couple of GM and Ford cars with the extended warranty, but it was a waste of money. None of them ever required anything but batteries and tires before 100,000 miles. Not even brake pads or an alignment. I passed up the extended warranty on our last two Fords (a Mustang and an Escape) as I was sure I wouldn't need it. I've owned a couple of V-8 Mustangs, but switched to 6's several years ago. They are way cheaper to insure, cost five grand less and are just as much fun. And regardless of what Mustang V-8 owners try to tell you, the 6 gets way better gas mileage than the 8. My current V-6 gets 30. My last V-8 got 11 to 15.

16th Jul 2014, 17:41

Just wondering how you like the convertible with cloth seats?

20th Jul 2014, 23:33

I rented a 2013 Mustang Convertible for a week while on vacation. It had the V6 engine in it. I was particularly interested in it since I am looking for a track car with lower running costs.

The positives on the Ford is that the car mileage was good. Having a convertible was fun too. Another plus is that you can fit four people in it.

The list of negatives is long. First, a lack of power. A serious lack of power. This is not a sports car. Do not delude yourself. The weight to horsepower ratio is unremarkable. Press the gas pedal and you get a lot of exhaust power, and then the wait until the power kicks in. It handled through the curves with no grace. I am not sure what type of suspension this has, but there is room for much improvement here.

It is also difficult to see out of. With the top down, this was not a problem.

The seats are uncomfortable. The interior is cheap.