1996 Ford Ranger Super Cab XLT 4x4 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Excellent vehicle by all means

I have only had simple/quick cheap fix problems.

EGR valve replaced at 160000 miles.

Catalytic converter replaced at 169000 miles.

Idle pulley replaced also at 169000 miles.

General Comments:

With regular maintenance on this truck, it now has almost 200000 miles on the original motor. It ticks a little bit, but that can be expected with the high mileage.

Manual locking hubs for the 4x4, and I have climbed banks and been down 4 wheeler paths, and haven't been in a place I cannot get out of yet. This truck goes like a tank in the ice and snow as well.

I get about 25 mpg on average, and I haul wood and have hauled logs on a trailer behind it. Best vehicle I've had.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2010

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Harder to love every time I drive it

Wheel bearing on its way out when I bought it. Still haven't replaced.

Alternator bit it at 144,000.

Clutch replaced at 142k.

Rear drum brake self adjusters are starting to stick badly.

Rough idle sporadically.

Wipers will turn on sporadically.

Bearing in cooling fan bad.

General Comments:

Wow, coming from a 1993 Ford Ranger (which I loved and regret selling), this Ranger is a nightmare. I commute 100 miles a day, and let me tell you this is not a happy little truck when given that task.

It has left me stuck and stranded more than once in the Minnesota winter, which Ford obviously didn't consider when designing a heating system for this truck. The 2.3 has a hard timing getting to operating temperature in the summer, much less when it's 20 below. With the radiator blocked with cardboard, and the cooling fan removed, I can expect ADEQUATE heat about 40 minutes into my commute.

I love the looks, interior styling and design as well as the overall feel of how it goes down the road (which it does very well). I was getting about 26 mpg in the summer, which wasn't bad in my opinion, now in February it's never more than 20, which is pretty pathetic considering the 100hp engine makes freeway merging an adrenaline pumping experience.

Plagued by nickel and dime issues, I have to say the this Ranger has really turned me off the model that I once swore by.

Maybe it's just first year OBDII issues, but nonetheless, I'm very disappointed with this one.

Review Date: 15th February, 2010

16th Feb 2010, 09:14

The 2.3 has a hard timing getting to operating temperature in the summer...

First thing to look at: Thermostat.

24th Jan 2014, 21:11

A 14-year old (in '10) truck with 150k miles that you bought used needs maintenance and repair?? OH THE HORROR!! Who'd have thought??

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Underrated great little pickup

General Comments:

I recently sold my 1999 Toyota Tacoma 2.4 extra-cab. The Toyota was super clean and I mostly just drove it for pleasure.

Times have recently changed, and with the economy the way it is, I picked up a wood burning stove to supplement heating my house. I also decided to get rid of the Tacoma because I realized I could get a good price for it, which I did. I then started looking around for a reliable 2wd standard with air that I could load wood in and not worry about denting or dinging.

After a bit of research, I decided to go for the 2.3 Ranger ex-cab. I happened to find a great deal on one near me. At first I was a bit surprised by what seemed to be a great lack of power when comparing the Ranger to my former Tacoma, but after owning it for over a month now, I've gotten used to the gears and power band, and everything's fine. I think this little truck will take me well into the 200 thousand mile range without many problems.

I actually enjoy around town driving in it better then my Tacoma, huh, who woulda thought?

This truck won't win you any races, but that's not what I bought it for, and at a fraction what a 96 Tacoma would have cost. Mileage is also very good;25mpg all around driving.

Review Date: 19th October, 2008

20th Oct 2008, 15:51

It sounds like you made a very smart decision. I've owned 4 Rangers since 1992 and never had a problem with any of them. My 2.3's got 29mpg on the highway at the speed limit.

I no longer go camping, so I traded my last one in on a 2007 Mustang. It was a V-6 automatic and only got about 24mpg highway.

The October 2007 Consumer Reports featured a Ranger that had over 488,000 trouble-free miles, so you should have LOTS of miles left. My family's company uses Rangers, and 300,000 miles out of the little 2.3 5-speeds is not at all uncommon.